Hundreds line up outside carpenters union hoping to land apprenticeship in lottery

Harry

post-5097-0-49582900-1376879185_thumb.jpg
They’re paying dues — and they haven’t even joined the union yet. Around 300 would-be workers camped out Sunday in front the District Council of Carpenters in Greenwich Village, hoping for a coveted spot in the union’s apprenticeship program. The first blue collar hopefuls arrived Monday and set up lawn chairs that doubled as beds. Others slept in tents or under blue tarps. “I have been sleeping right in this chair!" said James Kavanagh, 39, who was first in line. "I need a job. I am a pro with no job, making no money. Jobs are so scarce." The native of Monroe, N.Y. with experience working with sheet rock hoped to land one of the 750 slots in the program.  There are spaces for 500 carpenters, 150 dock builders and 100 floor coverers.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-49582900-1376879185_thumb.jpg

The reality of things here concerning the the employment sector is that traditional fields in the US job market such as construction, commercial truck driving, engineering, healthcare/medical and  industrial skill professions such as carpentry, or plumbing, are jobs that will be in great demand no matter what goes on in the global economy. I wish all of these people seeking the apprenticeships the best.

Despite the fact that the unemployment rate is locked in at at 9%, which in raw numbers breaks down to approximately 15 million Americans currently unemployed, nearly 3 million job openings in the U.S. are not being filled, a result of a mismatch between the qualifications employers are looking for and the skills job seekers have. Because employers set the stakes way too high, or are seeking to outsource the work. This is why I think the way to go is to aim for the traditional US jobs that are not going nowhere. If one goes to college, see to it that you are getting your degree according to what's hot in the job sector. Because it's a dog eat dog environment in the employment sector since we are in a global economy these days. Particularly in New York. The jobs in certain professions are there however a native NYer will be competing with people from all over the world for these jobs.

Going for traditional fields gives the average US citizen in New York the edge with a secure job with excellent pay and benefits in such a harsh economic enviorment. 

Archived