Would we still have ramp lines if...

BrooklynIRT

well they could also have tracks and wires for more than one lane, on a bridge or not.

I also wonder how badly any trolley lines would be knocked out or how many trolley lines would be knocked out and whether a motor bus-free transportation system would really be unable to keep the economy moving in the event of something like Hurricane Sandy.

No power = no go. All of lower Manhattan had no power, making a bus bridge impossible.

Unless you want diesel powered trams or buses (rendering this thread useless), this is an absolute certainty.

what about substations for the trolleys? would they not provide backup power? could they not be placed in Lower Manhattan?

well actually it might not even be a good idea to put them there since it seems Lower Manhattan is going to be hit harder and harder by climate change in the coming years. what about a bus/trolley bridge on the Queensboro instead? they could have sent the trolleys from Downtown Brooklyn/Williamsburg up through northern Brooklyn and LIC and then over the QB and then as far south in Midtown as there was power. or have substations in Midtown south to provide power for trolleys to run further Downtown in the event of no Con Ed power.....

......and forget about it now because I just remembered you said no overhead trolley wires in Manhattan as they have been banned since time immemorial.

what about substations for the trolleys? would they not provide backup power? could they not be placed in Lower Manhattan?

well actually it might not even be a good idea to put them there since it seems Lower Manhattan is going to be hit harder and harder by climate change in the coming years. what about a bus/trolley bridge on the Queensboro instead? they could have sent the trolleys from Downtown Brooklyn/Williamsburg up through northern Brooklyn and LIC and then over the QB and then as far south in Midtown as there was power. or have substations in Midtown south to provide power for trolleys to run further Downtown in the event of no Con Ed power.....

......and forget about it now because I just remembered you said no overhead trolley wires in Manhattan as they have been banned since time immemorial.

Substations draw from the power grid.

• 2 weeks later...

This thread gives me the impression that this society is inescapably dependent on the personal automobile even if its presence is drastically reduced: It was claimed that motor buses are absolutely needed to keep the economy going in Sandy-type situations, and the law requires people to know how to operate personal automobiles before learning how to operate motor buses.

Is there no way to power an electric trolley (running on rails) without overhead wires? Were there ever trolleys with contact shoes going to third rails embedded in the ground or something?

This thread gives me the impression that this society is inescapably dependent on the personal automobile even if its presence is drastically reduced: It was claimed that motor buses are absolutely needed to keep the economy going in Sandy-type situations, and the law requires people to know how to operate personal automobiles before learning how to operate motor buses.

Is there no way to power an electric trolley (running on rails) without overhead wires? Were there ever trolleys with contact shoes going to third rails embedded in the ground or something?

There were, but they were ultimately unreliable and quite time consuming to switch to (from overhead wiring). A modern-day system in France has a system where sections of third rail are only live when the trains go over them, but it ended up being severely overbudget and had extreme teething problems.

The main problem is that, at the end of the day, electricity (whether delivered by catenary or third rail) must come from the local grid

at the same time I understand that even if the motor bus were replaced by the trolley, some would still need to know how to operate automobiles because even I absolutely could not see society doing without them in emergency services (at least).

I suppose I can accept that the motor bus will have to stay and just work around that, although the fact that the wheelchair lifts and the seats being lifted to take wheelchairs delay service and the space constraints that make it harder to carry large items on the buses can be a bit irksome. well, not really since I am mentally numb to it all. I will figure out something.

the longest a passenger bus can be in NYC is 64 feet long, right? I kinda wish they could be longer. *Thinks about triple Artics in Europe*

Archived