Riding between lines as member of Transit

NJTDude

Hi All

I'm a recent hire at New Jersey Transit and am enjoying the experience thoroughly. Until a few weeks ago I was not aware of a sort of "courtesy" between transit agencies in the Northeast of allowing employees to ride their trains/buses/etc. 

I of course was intrigued and attempted to experience the courtesy first hand. I live on Long Island, so I do have a distance to travel in order to reach NJ. 

Amtrak has never given me trouble, though granted I only ride it for one stop. 

But LIRR seems to be hit or miss. I ask before boarding, but that doesn't always end well.

Perhaps it's because I work at HQ, rather than in the field. If so then that would make sense. Any assistance from members would be quite helpful.

Thanks!

Hi All

I'm a recent hire at New Jersey Transit and am enjoying the experience thoroughly. Until a few weeks ago I was not aware of a sort of "courtesy" between transit agencies in the Northeast of allowing employees to ride their trains/buses/etc.

I of course was intrigued and attempted to experience the courtesy first hand. I live on Long Island, so I do have a distance to travel in order to reach NJ.

Amtrak has never given me trouble, though granted I only ride it for one stop.

But LIRR seems to be hit or miss. I ask before boarding, but that doesn't always end well.

Perhaps it's because I work at HQ, rather than in the field. If so then that would make sense. Any assistance from members would be quite helpful.

Thanks!

It's more of an unspoken courtesy that is usually extended to uniformed members of other transit authorities. There is nothing in writing about it. It really depends on the operator/conductor...

Archived