NY authorizes more traffic cameras to catch drivers running red lights

ALBANY, New York — New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo has signed bills to expand the use of traffic cameras at intersections to catch drivers running red lights.

Bills recently approved by the Legislature will continue programs in New York City, as well Suffolk and Nassau counties and Rochester through 2019.

Sponsors say New York City's cameras, first authorized in 1994, have reduced crash injuries and violations and more than 8 million vehicles have been cited for violations.

Other bills signed Tuesday authorize five-year programs in New Rochelle, Mt. Vernon, Albany and Yonkers.

Source: http://www.dailyjournal.net/view/story/ba0b9c78c18e467982a9b81d631fc2b9/NY--Red-Lights-Cameras/?utm_source=Gridlock+Sam+e-News+072514&utm_campaign=GS+e-Newsletter&utm_medium=email

"Reduced crash injuries" -- yeah right, to my experience, red light cameras caused more accidents rather reduce. Though I actually am for red light cameras, they have to make the yellow light more realistic. It just does not give people enough time to slow down in bigger intersections and roadways. Queens Blvd and Ocean Parkway are big examples where the speed limit is slightly higher than regular streets. Even with a 25 mph speed limit, if it turns yellow and you're going 25 mph and you're right at the intersection; that light literally lasts 3-4 seconds and it's not enough time to cross the light nor stop in time. You're getting that ticket no matter what.

And I'm fairly certain that these yellow lights are damned shorter than lights without red-light cameras. If they fix the duration of those yellow lights on intersections with red light cameras, I'll support red light cameras more.

Archived