Building a R160 Exterior Sign with Ardunio.

Javier

Hey, so, I want to build a R160 Exterior sign (and possibly interior, which ever is the easiest.) but the thing is I dont know the exact parts to the exterior sign. Do they use regular LED's or letter LED's? If anyone has /knows what parts I need to start building It would be awesome,

This isn't an easy task :-D

I'm not sure what you mean by "letter LEDs". They use LED matrices. There are plenty of tutorials for 8x8 Led matricies out there, and that would be a good place to start. There's a MAX chip that's particularly good at driving them, meaning you just have to have three pins of the arduino driving the chip, instead of the 16 pins you'd need to directly drive the matrix. 

What I do know is that just like the way you'd drive the matrix using PWM (rapid blinking, painting the letters 1 column at a time) is exactly how the exterior signs work, which is why they appear distorted when the train is driving past. 

Anyway, if you have any questions let me know I've got a fair bit of arduino experience, but I've never driven an LED matrix bigger than 8x8. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished the last LED matrixs on the sign and Im waiting on my new arduino to come. In the meantime I set up my R142 strip map with LED lights and connected it to my sound board so now when I finish the sign it will be like I have a little subway car in my room!

Archived