Making the transition from NYCT to MNR

eddrohigh

Ok MTA people. I searched the forums and didn't find any answers to my questions.

I've been a conductor for NYCTA for about three years now. I just received the letter to take the conductor trainee test in April. My questions are:

Has anyone here made the transition from NYCTA to MNR?

Do we have to go through the whole process or are we expedited?

Do they have different standards when it comes to the background check?

Do we get accredited for time served as a conductor ?

Ok MTA people. I searched the forums and didn't find any answers to my questions.

I've been a conductor for NYCTA for about three years now. I just received the letter to take the conductor trainee test in April. My questions are:

Has anyone here made the transition from NYCTA to MNR?

Do we have to go through the whole process or are we expedited?

Do they have different standards when it comes to the background check?

Do we get accredited for time served as a conductor ?

Yes you'd have to go through the entire hiring process like anyone else, no expedition at all. MNRR is a separate entitiy from NYCTA. The back ground check should be pretty similar as NYCTA. They may also run a credit check on you as well, since MNRR C/R's handle cash. And no you get no time acredited. You'd be starting an entirely new pension with MNRR. They don't use NYCERS and any other state pension system. You've only got three years in, so you have little to lose making the switch.

Having work with numerous conductors who have come from NYCT I can safely say that a MNR conductor is a completely different animal from a NYCT conductor.  Depending on where you live you will be required to qualify on at least two of the three lines.  There is no expedited program.  You will go through approximately a year of training and learn everything from operating rules to physical characteristics. 

Truckie

Thanks for the reply. I just thought we at least be credited for some time toward the salary table.  One of my co-worker just made the transition and told me to look in to the benett mechanical test as a study guide. will this be helpful.

Archived