138 St/Mott Haven Station

HammelsY

http://www.iridetheharlemline.com/2015/05/21/the-lost-train-station-of-the-bronx-138th-street-mott-haven/

I thought the funniest part was that the farmers had NO idea that there was a historic station there. On the whole what a great story and a shame that the station was razed, a year before the landmarks commission was founded in New York City. 

title.jpg

If that area wasn't so poor and so close to loud and polluted Major Deegan, perhaps that station would've been saved, but as it is currently, even the nearby train station doesn't see much usage. 

The other issue is that the curves are tight at that location and you're talking about one of the most congested signal blocks of Metro-North's system. Having trains stop at 138 St could only make things worse.

I think the real shame of it is that the building is not extant. It was an incredibly beautiful building.

The other issue is that the curves are tight at that location and you're talking about one of the most congested signal blocks of Metro-North's system. Having trains stop at 138 St could only make things worse.

I think the real shame of it is that the building is not extant. It was an incredibly beautiful building.

Beautiful indeed... Now that area is a mess... Run down with crappy auto repair shops everywhere.  No wonder the asthma rates are sky high in the South Bronx. <_<

Archived