Huge unused resource in trenton!

metsfan

It may be a crazy idea, but just north of trenton station there is a large unused yard being reclaimed by nature. Why not put this yard back into service? There are at least 20 tracks here totally unused since probably penn central died in the 70's.

There is enough room here for an expanded station as well. Maybe make a portion that looks like it used to be the floor of a building into a parking lot. Service could terminate at the current platforms for (SEPTA) and (NJT) , but have mixed service for (NJT) and amtrak att the new platform(s). The layout could be very similar to hoboken, with access between platforms at one end, but with high level platforms. There's enough room for a few of these plus parking lot & yard space. All this without interrupting traffic on the nearby tracks of the :nec:.

They could also connect the disconnected loop of freight rail for even more storage.

Here's an image i fiddled with to give you a better idea of what i'm talking about.

treontonyard.jpg

The area in blue is approximately the space occupied by the current train station.

The area in red is the yard i'm referring to & its various parts.

The pink is where trains could go & where tracks are or were.

The green is where an elevated portion would have to be constructed as a grade level connection would not work today.

With all of the new equipment (NJT) is getting, it would be wise for them to utilize this space.

In case you were wondering, i have seen with my own eyes from a train an existing shelter structure several train cars in length in the area marked with red. It has signature PRR design aspects & shows that this once saw passenger activity.

- A

Not a bad idea, but it isn't totally feasible.

NJT has well enough space, and trackage at yards already established to store the trains for the NEC. Remember that also Morrisville Yard is south of Trenton.

Well you could just use it as a plain ol yard. Ya morisville is there, but this would be good once the new EMU and the rest of the multilevels are put into service. :)

- A

Well you could just use it as a plain ol yard. Ya morisville is there, but this would be good once the new EMU and the rest of the multilevels are put into service. :)

- A

Well, its not really really needed. There would be cars for increased service, but NJT wouldn't direly be looking for space. Like always, all the new somewhere along the line replace the old, with the exception of some equipment bought for service increases. NJT is replacing. Even with the equipment now, it doesn't fill up all the space NJT has for yard usage, and even with the cars for service increases. I would leave that lot alone for dire need of yard space. The money isn't exactly there for that in the first place.

Talk about this again when THE ARC tunnel is completed. :D

Archived