The Swan Song Of The Green Flipdot Buses

On the night of Friday, April 23rd, 2021, after a 35 year era, the Green Flipdot destination sign displays the route and destination on top of a bus for the final time. The bus carrying that honor, 2002 MCI D4500 #2910. It's been almost 2 years since the last Green Flipdot Local buses retired, those being the 2003-04 Orion VII 1st Generation Hybrids (#6365-#6489) back in July 2019. We all knew this time was coming, as the amount of 2002 MCI D4500s had been decreasing slowly over the last 5 years. Not only is it the end of the Green Flipdot Destination sign era, it's also the end of the Detroit Diesel era in NYC, as there are no more Detroit Diesel powered buses in the MTA. It was a fun era while it lasted, from 6v71s, 8v71s, 6v92s and 8v92s between the 1970s and early 2000s, to the Series 50, Series 50G, Series 50 MKG, Series 50 EGR, and Series 60 between the late 90s and 2021.

I took a video of #2858 on the QM7, just weeks before it retired. Who would've known I would capture one of these buses final moments.

I also caught #2895 along with a bunch of others.

And these are the buses that have replaced the 2001-02 MCI D4500s...