Bus Operations; Preventable vs Non-Preventable. What's the difference?

Lawrence St

So a big thing that I've been told a lot by my B/O friends is "preventable accidents" in bus operations.

But what exactly qualifies as a preventable accident? 

For example, I was sitting in front of Jay St (A) and a bus was making the turn and some dude ran up to the bus as it was still moving, leaped off the bus by doing a kick off of the bus, and ran way. This all happened while the bus was still moving.

Would this be a "non-preventable accident"? 

22 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

So a big thing that I've been told a lot by my B/O friends is "preventable accidents" in bus operations.

But what exactly qualifies as a preventable accident? 

For example, I was sitting in front of Jay St (A) and a bus was making the turn and some dude ran up to the bus as it was still moving, leaped off the bus by doing a kick off of the bus, and ran way. This all happened while the bus was still moving.

Would this be a "non-preventable accident"? 

Are you referring to the video that has spread across the social media of this dude who does these stunts video?.....

Non-Preventable Vs. Preventable....

DOB Safety and training division always lean more toward Preventable unless it's proven that it was non preventable.

What's considered non-preventable - If you're at the bus stop and properly parallel with the curb and a car randomly run the back of the bus or the side of the bus. That was out of your control to prevent that. You're standing at the traffic light and a car loses control and takes your mirrors, or hit head on the front of you bus.

If your bus is in motion, they will rule it Preventable. If your at the bus stop and the bus is angled and you get rear ended, it will be ruled out Preventable. A passenger fells in your bus while in motion, it will be ruled preventable. A Passenger is boarding the bus, and they trip while stepping in the bus, If you did not kneel the bus or properly parallel with the curb, It will be ruled as Preventable.  A vehicle ran a red light as you're entering the intersection, and contact were made, Zerega will ruled it as Preventable. Don't ask me why, but that's how the game is played out. If you notice the non preventable list is shorter compared to preventable....

6 minutes ago, Flatbush Operator said:

Are you referring to the video that has spread across the social media of this dude who does these stunts video?.....

Non-Preventable Vs. Preventable....

DOB Safety and training division always lean more toward Preventable unless it's proven that it was non preventable.

What's considered non-preventable - If you're at the bus stop and properly parallel with the curb and a car randomly run the back of the bus or the side of the bus. That was out of your control to prevent that. You're standing at the traffic light and a car loses control and takes your mirrors, or hit head on the front of you bus.

If your bus is in motion, they will rule it Preventable. If your at the bus stop and the bus is angled and you get rear ended, it will be ruled out Preventable. A passenger fells in your bus while in motion, it will be ruled preventable. A Passenger is boarding the bus, and they trip while stepping in the bus, If you did not kneel the bus or properly parallel with the curb, It will be ruled as Preventable.  A vehicle ran a red light as you're entering the intersection, and contact were made, Zerega will ruled it as Preventable. Don't ask me why, but that's how the game is played out. If you notice the non preventable list is shorter compared to preventable....

Yes, I'm referring to that exact video.

I'm baffled at if a person falls thats preventable. So if I'm driving a bus and someone randomly falls, my probation gets extended for no reason?

3 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Yes, I'm referring to that exact video.

I'm baffled at if a person falls thats preventable. So if I'm driving a bus and someone randomly falls, my probation gets extended for no reason?

Sadly, I know that dude on the video that's doing the stunts. 

Yes, as long the bus is in motion, they will ruled it preventable. The only way they can't charge you is only if the bus is not moving. 

Being extended will be determined by the Zerega Probationary officers or your depot GST. But usually if it's your first offense you may get away by not getting extended. More like a slap on the wrist and warning. Keep in mind they fully review the cameras on the bus to see what happened and they can see everything you was doing as far operating the bus and the speed og the bus. 

When I first started, on 6th day being on my own, A ConED utility truck was speeding while I was serving a bus stop , But I wasn't able to pull in to the bus stop because there was a tire obstructing the bus stop so I parallel straight along with the tire and let passenger off. The ConED truck ended up taking my driver side mirror and never stop. I panic and the first thing I did was got off the bus and called my union rep for further instruction. "They consider your depot lawyer" I ended up calling it in and started taking pictures of the damage and the obstruction object that made me not come close to the curb.  Long story short, I had to go see the Probation officer at Zerega that week, and Thank god they did not extend me because I did the right thing, plus they had no intention to extend any probies for their first offense.  Keep in mind, not everything will quickly get you extended.