Why is the M.T.A so hesitant towards adopting other No emission alternatives like Hydrogen fuel cell technology?

Jamall Hayden

I’m not completely against adopting some battery electric buses and I understand it’s still an evolving technology but at the same time I don’t think it’s a good idea to put all your eggs in 1 basket. What if there’s a power outage and you can’t power the battery electric buses? I think the future M.T.A fleet should also include some Low emission vehicles like C.N.G and other no emission vehicles like Hydrogen fuel cell. Sunil Nair, chief officer of the MTA’s zero emissions fleet transformation addresses some of the issues with implementing large scale all battery electric powered fleet, “You have stop-and-go traffic, you have cold weather conditions of the Northeast, you have elevation changes,” https://www.thecity.nyc/platform/amp/environment/2022/4/27/23045575/mta-surging-ahead-with-electric-bus-plans

Hydrogen fuel cell vehicles have a longer range (up to 350 miles), are better suited to handle extreme weather and hilly areas and have faster refueling times. https://www.newflyer.com/bus/xcelsior-charge-h2/

The M.T.A could gradually replace some it’s current C.N.G equipment with hydrogen ones. Have all battery electric E.V handle short to mid distance routes and use hydrogen and C.N.G for longer commuter routes or just keep some as spares just in case!

Honestly I don't believe the MTA will reach their target of an all electric fleet by 2040 of whatever the target they set was. There are some routes that are way too demanding for what current electric technology can provide for. I Do see see the MTA having to rework their plan, but hopefully they can redo their plan so that they convert diesel garages into electric or hydro. I do think hydrogen has more potential but it also has a much higher start up cost since the MTA would most likely need to produce it in house. But iirc the CNG buses are actually better than the hybrid buses so if anything those CNG garages show be the lowest priority in terms of renovating. 

CNG isn't really low emissions. Ultimately the goal is zero fossil fuels.

Hydrogen is a pain in the ass to setup. You can't just get hydrogen. That's always been the problem with hydrogen, its distribution and manufacturer.

Biodiesel has more or less been a bust.