Differences in the SIR

Eastman346

SIR, used to be a freight railroad back in the earlyyyyyyy days lol.. Thats basically why theres only 1 sharp curve North of Clifton station.. everything else is wide turns or a straight run; hence for excessive speeding trains.

SIR , i believe is under the FRA- Federal Railroad Administration; which i think they have to oby by there rules or sumthing. The SIR R44 Cars were rebuilt and were added some diff. features then subway cars have.. There are currently 64 R44 cars on staten island

car numbers range from 388-440, THEN 440-464 Even.

cars 388-399 were transfers from coney isl yard ( used to run on the F train i believe) back in the 80's or sumthing.

Signaling is entirley dif on SIR Then the subway.

Actually the signaling was just updated in the past 2-3 years..

The SIR used to be part of the B and O railroad ( Baltimore and Ohio) until 1972, when MTA took over operations.

The B and O signals until almost Jan 2004, from a number, and i mean a number of years ago.

I cant really explain the signaling. its kinda weird..

The signals basically lit each other up. There used to be a signal between Bay Terrace and Oakwood Heights ( my old stop), when the train ran over the fishplate ( rail joint) next to the signal, the signal north of oakwood lit up, then wen the last car of the train past the signal, the signal would be basically shut off, or go blank, until the next train was comming / or hit the signal previous to that one.

The unions are diff.

Some of there operations are dif.

i never saw anyone, wear anything that states MTA on it ( except track workers) they have the 0range vests.

but T/O wear any clothing they want, i dun think they have a uniform policy. C/R wear a blue get up with a C/R hat , that actually may Say "M" Staten is railway.

4 Car trains regularly

2 cars, late nites

hope this helps a lil

• 1 month later...