Topic of Tomorrow

Harry

Imagine this. A magnetically levitated train that could take you from NY to London in about 54 minutes at 5000 miles per hour through a 3,100 mile long floating tunnel. This is the TransAtlantic tunnel that will probably be constructed in the near future. Go to this link and you will see an image of the proposed tunnel. (courtesy of Wired.com) http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/engineering/transatlantictunnel/interactive/interactive.html

I have an idea that a rapid transit system should be planned and built across America using a similar system. Portions of this system could be built underground and parts on land. This system would connect most major cities and integrating developing and projected cities across the nation. I think it would be smart to plan the build over a specific period of time (building within a planned budget{100years}). The time frame could be worked down as well as the cost considering the implementation of new (or futre) nano-materials that is already being developed. The thing is, it is something that is going to happen. Rather it be Amtrak or how about "Ameritrak", the possibility is very likely. I believe the system would primarily be used by people working in one city and living in another . A situation where a person is required to have a physical body present. The reason I mentioned a physical body is because, over the next 20 years, the need to physically travel will become, damn near unnecessary. Even rediculous! Virtual teleportation is a HIGHLY probable technology that will change the way we experience and network. I hope I am not losing anyone here. If I am please let me know. I will stop for now. I am curious as to rather or not anyone is even paying attention to my post.

I'm all for a national mass transit system like you describe. Heck, even that maglev in the article train looks like a great idea. I used to invision a super high speed train through a tunnel using four rails instead of two. Two rails on the bottom and two rails on top. This idea is about 10 years old and probably not even worth thinking up anymore but I did imagine it at one point of my life.

I like the idea but this day in age something like that would not be safe enough. Think about the miles upon miles of unmonitored and unwatched tunnels and infrastructure. It will not be for the paranoid I'll tell you that.

At 5000 miles per hour you would be able to reach London in 5-10 minutes. I think thats a too fast for travel through a tunnel. In the air very possible.

I like the idea but this day in age something like that would not be safe enough. Think about the miles upon miles of unmonitored and unwatched tunnels and infrastructure. It will not be for the paranoid I'll tell you that.

At 5000 miles per hour you would be able to reach London in 5-10 minutes. I think thats a too fast for travel through a tunnel. In the air very possible.

Agreed about the safety factor. Complicating the safety issues are the legal issues that would come as a result (for example, if a crime were to be committed in the tunnel, under whose jurisdiction would it fall?).

Agreed about the safety factor. Complicating the safety issues are the legal issues that would come as a result (for example, if a crime were to be committed in the tunnel, under whose jurisdiction would it fall?).

For something of that magnitude it would definitely fall under an international or multi-national transit agency. A joint operation between the American's and the Brit's. But why stop there.

You guys raise a lot of good points. I am not sure but I believe I said a project like this would take years of planning and surveying. I think it would even take a century. It would be an investment in the nations infrastructure and I agree it would not be in our life time. Just like everything elsem, there would have to be a new agency to bare jurisdiction and control. Yes it would be very dangerous to travel at speeds that fast, unless the first 12-15 minutes was spent gaining speed and momentum. The seats would have to be installed and adjusted to ensure passengers would feel less of a G-Force. With that in mind, it is possible. Everything can be done with the appropriate computation. This is the age we are living in. The century of computation (the stage of our intelligence). If a crime is commited then I guess thats when Captain Stuben takes over. Just like on an airplane. A project like that would answer all those questions during planning. To me, it sounds more feasable then building air-shuttles that shoot up like a rocket from New York, orbit then land in Tokyo. Now thats scary. I bet a million bucks those transit guys in DC and MIT are contemplating such a structure, or looking into alternatives to reduce the need to commute (physically). Personally I can't wait to see the ground breaking of Mega Verticle Cities with mass transit that moves horizontal and verticle like elevators. I think they are planning such a thing in Tokyo actually. I will dig up the name of that project.

Imagine this. A magnetically levitated train that could take you from NY to London in about 54 minutes at 5000 miles per hour through a 3,100 mile long floating tunnel. This is the TransAtlantic tunnel that will probably be constructed in the near future. Go to this link and you will see an image of the proposed tunnel. (courtesy of Wired.com) http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/engineering/transatlantictunnel/interactive/interactive.html

I have an idea that a rapid transit system should be planned and built across America using a similar system. Portions of this system could be built underground and parts on land. This system would connect most major cities and integrating developing and projected cities across the nation. I think it would be smart to plan the build over a specific period of time (building within a planned budget{100years}). The time frame could be worked down as well as the cost considering the implementation of new (or futre) nano-materials that is already being developed. The thing is, it is something that is going to happen. Rather it be Amtrak or how about "Ameritrak", the possibility is very likely. I believe the system would primarily be used by people working in one city and living in another . A situation where a person is required to have a physical body present. The reason I mentioned a physical body is because, over the next 20 years, the need to physically travel will become, damn near unnecessary. Even rediculous! Virtual teleportation is a HIGHLY probable technology that will change the way we experience and network. I hope I am not losing anyone here. If I am please let me know. I will stop for now. I am curious as to rather or not anyone is even paying attention to my post.

Well the first idea for the tunnel would be a good idea, but because of money and politics it would never be built (and even if it did it would not be during our lives or our childrens or grandchildrens)

And the second idea, i believe that the need to physically commute will be unneccesary in the near future but that would be bad because then people would get no exercise and they would get obese and everything

Archived