Bike racks on all buses except EBT and all but one Inter-County Route

mac5689

I don't see how it'll be an issue. (SEPTA) has had them on 99% of their busses for at least 15 years. Few is no incidents that i can recall.

- A

because i'm sure that SEPTA installed them when they said they would, and trained their drivers. most drivers for SCT have been driving for 15 with out bike racks. and some places are hard to get a bus though now, so add a bike rack that has a bike on it and it will most likely be worse. and i can think of a few places where such a incident could occur. and i've been on buses in a few if not all the spots i could mention and have seen first hand how hard it was to get a bus though.

now i'm not saying its a bad idea, just that the county took to much time getting it done and most likely didn't take into account that the buses do have a hard time getting around some area's and adding a bike rack to the bus would be a bad thing.

i mean the county couldn't keep the buses safe before. i mean back in 2005 CBS's 5071 got into a wreck right outside Stony Brook university hospital. a few years before that a CBS bus got into a accident down the road from John Mather Memorial hospital in Port Jefferson. and a Suffolk Bus Corp bus that got into an accident in Blue Point. there have been about three buses that have caught fire, at least one of those had people on board. and a CBS driver was stabbed at Smith Haven Mall in the early 90's. and countless other buses have had close calls with getting into accidents. so excuse me if i believe that a bus in Suffolk County could and prob would get into a accident at some point in time with a bike rack down, even though it hasn't happen with SEPTA buses.

and as my rule number seven goes: never believe anything UNLESS you witnessed it. (and that doesn't mean that just because u seen it work some where else, it will work in Suffolk county)

I think just like SBS this will catch on & be a huge hit. :D

- A

that being said prematurely. u like the county don't know how many ppl who ride the buses own bikes, how far they have to go after they get off the bus, and how many of those said ppl would trust putting their bike on a bike rack that will be sticking out in front of a moving bus. i for one would never do that because not only do i enjoy walking, i also wouldn't have to get the poor driver an extra worry of having not only to keep them as well as the rest of the passengers safe but the bike as well.

Archived