Railroads vs other MTA departments

2ride

23 hours ago, 2ride said:

Can someone tell me if the railroads are the best agencies to work for inside MTA? How does Metro North or LIRR compare to other ones such as NYCT, Office of Capital Construction, Bridges and Tunnels, and etc? Thanks.

What do you mean by "best"?

Railroad retirement is one of the biggest reasons I believe, we don't pay into social security we pay into railroad retiremet see here www.rrb.gov 

Here are some averages,

Average social security benefit monthly in 2022 - $1,666

Average railroad retirement benefit monthly in 2020 (couldn't find an updated #) - $2985

Also if your married your spouse will get half of what your getting from railroad retirement also just for being married to you minimum 10 years, so your spouse would get $1492 just for being married to you. This is all ontop of your MTA pension and start collecting at 62.

On 8/26/2022 at 1:52 PM, 2ride said:

Someone on here said nothing beats the railroad when it comes to employment. I just thought that statement didn’t have enough details to support it.

Railroad is federally funded, much more intricate and vast. MTA bus, NYCT is majority run under civil service law. Railroad pay, retirement , benefits, advancement, quality of life are deemed to be better. Railroad goes through thousands and thousands of applications/resumes to pick individuals out for a even just a interview . The other agencies anyone can take tests for such positions and eventually get hired, in addition to promotional ones.