New MTA app to replace horrid myMTA app! Sign up now to become a beta tester!!

ABOGbrooklyn

On 8/8/2023 at 3:24 PM, ABOGbrooklyn said:

https://new.mta.info/article/welcome-mta-app-beta-launch?fbclid=IwAR3GTYV0KNztuPcNOqa-B3epTy2iwym4avy8tyOScCcEIGVly3AORmuSouY

Please transit buffs sign up and submit feedback so we can have a decently functioning app! 

New beta app looks cleaner but lacks usability and has issues.  I submitted my feedback on the app.  Google Maps, Apple Maps, Transit and Citymapper are all superior and are all free to use.  If your device is in Nassau county and you install Transit you get upgraded features on the Transit app.  The MTA app seems pointless and has no beneficial uses except that it has a link for Paratransit in the app but users can just use the regular website.  It does have a list of nearby transit in a clean looking format but other apps have same and additional features in a more usable and superior format.  

Just use existing apps and you have the apps with the features you want and need right now and those get updates over time as well and they are much further ahead in development.  MTA should discontinue app development on this and instead focus on an online payment system to prepay for OMNY rides for unlimited, weekly or single rides and the like.  If they don’t discontinue app development, the final release will definitely still be way behind other apps and users will only choose this app who don’t know better and want an official MTA app.  I can still see this app benefitting the MTA if they are able to monetize the app somehow but users can evaluate all apps and choose the best one.  

Edited by AJ023

2 hours ago, AJ023 said:

New beta app looks cleaner but lacks usability and has issues.  I submitted my feedback on the app.  Google Maps, Apple Maps, Transit and Citymapper are all superior and are all free to use.  If your device is in Nassau county and you install Transit you get upgraded features on the Transit app.  The MTA app seems pointless and has no beneficial uses except that it has a link for Paratransit in the app but users can just use the regular website.  It does have a list of nearby transit in a clean looking format but other apps have same and additional features in a more usable and superior format.  

Just use existing apps and you have the apps with the features you want and need right now and those get updates over time as well and they are much further ahead in development.  MTA should discontinue app development on this and instead focus on an online payment system to prepay for OMNY rides for unlimited, weekly or single rides and the like.  If they don’t discontinue app development, the final release will definitely still be way behind other apps and users will only choose this app who don’t know better and want an official MTA app.  I can still see this app benefitting the MTA if they are able to monetize the app somehow but users can evaluate all apps and choose the best one.  

I don't fully agree with you on this. It's good to have one app that has everything and is directly connected to the source rather than multiple apps that do one thing better than the other.. I have to use multiple apps for bus time, train schedule and maps plus the small amount of times I gotta take LIRR.. it's too much and some are more reliable than others.. including Google Maps..

If the MTA can get this right (which I doubt) but still try to keep hope then, this will be my main app.

One thing I'm loving is that the line maps include common service diversions (2 via Lex and 5 via 7th Ave for example) as well as things like the W to 86th Street. That already makes it leagues better than myMTA.

The moment I opened the app, I was sold. The first thing I noticed is you immediately see how far away the closest subways and buses are to you. This should have been a given, especially for bus riders.

The first thing I saw when I opened the app was the next 1-3 buses at the closest stops to me. I can tap the stop/direction I want and see the next buses. Then, I tap the specific bus I want and see where it is, what time it'll get to my stop, and when it will reach further stops PLUS what bus transfers I can make.

I will be mentioning a need to add subway transfers there. I'll also recommend the same for subways, but since there can be a ton of bus routes, make it a drop-down option under the visible subway transfers.

Otherwise, things you would normally have to look for are now, at most, three taps away.

Now I can actually decide if I wanna meet the bus and save the 5 minutes to the subway from second one.

This is a first impression so I won't have a more concrete opinion until I use it more practically. Good start so far and I can't wait to see how it evolved 

Edited by LTA1992

On 8/10/2023 at 12:21 PM, ABOGbrooklyn said:

I don't fully agree with you on this. It's good to have one app that has everything and is directly connected to the source rather than multiple apps that do one thing better than the other.. I have to use multiple apps for bus time, train schedule and maps plus the small amount of times I gotta take LIRR.. it's too much and some are more reliable than others.. including Google Maps..

If the MTA can get this right (which I doubt) but still try to keep hope then, this will be my main app.

They've already gotten it right, I think. Now it needs tweaks to perfect it. Please read my comment to know my initial thoughts.

10 hours ago, LTA1992 said:

One thing I'm loving is that the line maps include common service diversions (2 via Lex and 5 via 7th Ave for example) as well as things like the W to 86th Street. That already makes it leagues better than myMTA.

The moment I opened the app, I was sold. The first thing I noticed is you immediately see how far away the closest subways and buses are to you. This should have been a given, especially for bus riders.

The first thing I saw when I opened the app was the next 1-3 buses at the closest stops to me. I can tap the stop/direction I want and see the next buses. Then, I tap the specific bus I want and see where it is, what time it'll get to my stop, and when it will reach further stops PLUS what bus transfers I can make.

I will be mentioning a need to add subway transfers there. I'll also recommend the same for subways, but since there can be a ton of bus routes, make it a drop-down option under the visible subway transfers.

Otherwise, things you would normally have to look for are now, at most, three taps away.

Now I can actually decide if I wanna meet the bus and save the 5 minutes to the subway from second one.

This is a first impression so I won't have a more concrete opinion until I use it more practically. Good start so far and I can't wait to see how it evolved 

Some things I feel that are missing that myMTA has is to be able to see every subway time of arrival by clicking it's stop like for example click on (5) train then it shows it stops but if you click on a stop it doesn't do anything and doesn't show the time of each train coming in both directions.

I know you can save a certain stop but many times I don't visit that stop enough to make it my favorite so I would like to see every stop and train arrival without having to favorite it. Also transfers should also be available like if I click on the (Q) at Time Sq stop it should Aldo show every other line that transferable in Time Sq without me having to go back and research that line.

13 hours ago, ABOGbrooklyn said:

Some things I feel that are missing that myMTA has is to be able to see every subway time of arrival by clicking it's stop like for example click on (5) train then it shows it stops but if you click on a stop it doesn't do anything and doesn't show the time of each train coming in both directions.

I know you can save a certain stop but many times I don't visit that stop enough to make it my favorite so I would like to see every stop and train arrival without having to favorite it. Also transfers should also be available like if I click on the (Q) at Time Sq stop it should Aldo show every other line that transferable in Time Sq without me having to go back and research that line.

The features you mention exist. It's a beta so you likely experienced a big. Transfers already already on the line maps which are like, 3 taps from opening the app.

Also, someone is clearly listening to feedback because all spelling errors for hyphenated stations are fixed.

2 hours ago, LTA1992 said:

The features you mention exist. It's a beta so you likely experienced a big. Transfers already already on the line maps which are like, 3 taps from opening the app.

Also, someone is clearly listening to feedback because all spelling errors for hyphenated stations are fixed.

Are you on iOS or Android?

How are you seeing transfers? 

We still can't see station arrivals for every stop..

Edited by ABOGbrooklyn