Bayonne Ferry Service May Start Sooner than Expected

Pablo M 201

Bayonne ferry may be closer

Friday, November 28, 2008 By RONALD LEIR

JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Bayonne's private ferry service, between the Peninsula at Bayonne Harbor and Battery Park in Lower Manhattan, could begin sometime next month, if state and federal regulators give their blessings.

Lawrence Hagna, a spokesman for the state Department of Environmental Protection, said that the Bayonne Local Redevelopment Authority has applied for an amended ferry terminal permit to handle a bigger boat than anticipated.

Hagna said that the boat to be used by Statue Cruises, the BLRA's contracted operator, for the bi-state ferry service requires the BLRA "to increase the dock size to 40 feet by 160 feet and to shorten the boarding gangway to 60 feet. The original permit authorized a 40-foot by 90-foot dock and a gangway of 80 feet."

Actually, Statue Cruises plans to use a floating barge as a substitute for a conventional dock, Hagna said. Hagna characterized the proposed permit change as "just a technical matter" now under review by the Department of Environmental Protection.

Once the adjustments are approved and the terminal is in place, the U.S. Coast Guard would then have to inspect it for compliance with vessel security regulations, Hagna said.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal/stories/index.ssf?/base/news-4/1227857117277090.xml&coll=3

I may try it the first day or during Christmas break if service if up and running by then.

Where is this?

- A

This is out by South Cove Commons and the 34th Street Hudson-Bergen Light Rail Station I believe. You gotta take that long passageway to the parking lot from the station, then go to Prospect Street which curves around to cross Route 440. Theres pedestrian crossing too. I think you just need to walk all the way down where the pier is. I'm still doing more research and whatnot about it.

It'll only be one run in the AM rush and then one run in the PM rush, with the ferry only going to Lower Manhattan.

But it is a start so lets see.

BTW, that movie theater is awesome! I go to that theater almost every time I go to the movies. Its the only movie theater around here with matinee so I take advantage of it ($6.75 Matinee w00 h00).

They seem to only take cash though. My woman & i joke that its run by the mafia & used for money laundering, however we are kinda quiet about that possibility while around other people down there, because it's probably true. :eek::confused:

- A

They seem to only take cash though. My woman & i joke that its run by the mafia & used for money laundering, however we are kinda quiet about that possibility while around other people down there, because it's probably true. :eek::confused:

- A

LOL! Just use the ticket machines that you don't have to wait in line for which takes credit cards IIRC. I never used it but I might just next time I go.

Archived