Subway Doors

Smoot178

Someone had the idea (in another thread) to put subway doors into a doorway and actually have them work (aka open and close). Does the MTA actually sell door motors? I know they sell the doors but the motors themselves?

How hard would it be to hook one of these up? Would they need some special power supply? Could you hook up 2 buttons to it to open/close them? What style would be the best to use?

This would be awesome!

I'm kind of positive that if you make a deal with them they will sell you 2 door motors, but it's possible for you to buy motors in a hardware store. As for the door install you would have to allow enough space for them to slide into the inside the walls like in a real subway car and have a power supply for the motors. The doors cost $175 + fees, idk how much 2 motors would cost, but it's possible to do, just would have to have an electrician consult you. If you pust the subway doors for a room I would buy roll signs and/or car number plates to make it look real, but that's up to you, just my ideas. Search the net for those door motors or write and e-mail to the Asset Recovery Office. Good luck! :D

I'm kind of positive that if you make a deal with them they will sell you 2 door motors, but it's possible for you to buy motors in a hardware store. As for the door install you would have to allow enough space for them to slide into the inside the walls like in a real subway car and have a power supply for the motors. The doors cost $175 + fees, idk how much 2 motors would cost, but it's possible to do, just would have to have an electrician consult you. If you pust the subway doors for a room I would buy roll signs and/or car number plates to make it look real, but that's up to you, just my ideas. Search the net for those door motors or write and e-mail to the Asset Recovery Office. Good luck! :D

Not to mention you would also need door tracks and a door hanger complete with bearings, otherwise that door wouldn't have anything to hook up with the motor, and if it did move would probably scratch up your floor pretty bad

It wouldn't be hard to get a device that will open and close them, it's the tracks and and how they were to open that I am worried about.

Ahaha I could decorate my hallway like the side of subway car with a rollsign, fake windows then the doors at the end XD

Archived