B44 late night terminal question

Tricknologist

Why does the B44 end at Emmons and Nostrand as opposed to it "regular" terminal at Knapp and Shore Pkwy?

I could be wrong but i think i read or heard somewhere that the B44 late night terminal is at Emmons Ave is because of engine noise/community issues at Knapp St/Shore Pwy.

Residents mainly NIMBYS years ago when the movie thearte opened as a compromise for the B44 being extended to Knapp St was that late nights, the B44 overnight terminal be Emmons and Nostrand.

I think that the answer, but if i am incorrect i am sure someone on these boards can correct me.

I worked the B44 at Flatbush Depot until the system pick went into effect on Sunday, 01/04/09. From what I understand, the reasoning is, the residents of the nursing home do not want to hear a bus running when parked idling on Shore Pkway at Knapp Street before making the turn onto Knapp St to pick up. They had an administrator calling in complaints saying that the buses are idling and waking up the patients. The most logical step was to move the starting point to Nostrand Avenue and Emmons Ave. The drivers will pick up anyone in the stop at the nursing home then turn onto Knapp Street to head to the stop at Emmons & Nostrand. This does not cause any inconvenience to any customer who is waiting at a stop between Knapp St and Nostrand Ave. Service is not lessened at all. Late night ridership on the B44 is light on the North bound trip to the Williamsburg Bridge Plaza and even lighter on the Southbound trip back to Sheepshead Bay.(approx 6-10 customers) On the Southbound trip most customers get off at the Junction which for the most part is anyone left on the bus. The driver can go to the end of the line empty. At Shore Pkway, drivers make the left onto Knapp St to head back to the depot to end their run.(NYCT)

Archived