Questions On CBTC

mark1447

I know CBTC a little, just got 3 questions. Please dont go fussing on me, as Im just trying to know a little more, like others.. Thanks!

First is CBTC used for Automated Train and allows computer systems to communicate with a station to show passengers the next arrival of a train?

Second, what does a Blinking Green light [signal] in CBTC means, for example the (L). Yes I know Green means Proceed, but I'm not sure if it means the same under Communication based train control..

Third, does CBTC work with older fleet, and how does it work for them? I know NTTs just communicate with Control via Computers I think, correct me if im wrong.

Thanks!

I know CBTC a little, just got 3 questions. Please dont go fussing on me, as Im just trying to know a little more, like others.. Thanks!

First is CBTC used for Automated Train and allows computer systems to communicate with a station to show passengers the next arrival of a train?

CBTC isnt necessarily automated trains. All it is is everything about the train (its location, speed, and more details) is communicated to a main computer which controls the signals.

Third, does CBTC work with older fleet, and how does it work for them? I know NTTs just communicate with Control via Computers I think, correct me if im wrong.

No it does not. Currently, only the R143 and R160 are CBTC compatible. However, since the R142/A's have computer monitoring systems, they are ready for CBTC installation. In fact, this is basically the R188 project. It is converting many R142/A's to be CBTC compatible. In fact, there will only be 23 new cars in the R188 order, the rest are converted r142/a's.

No it does not. Currently, only the R143 and R160 are CBTC compatible. However, since the R142/A's have computer monitoring systems, they are ready for CBTC installation. In fact, this is basically the R188 project. It is converting many R142/A's to be CBTC compatible. In fact, there will only be 23 new cars in the R188 order, the rest are converted r142/a's.

R142 and 142As are NOT ready for CBTC installation. They do not even have the equipment lockers in which to put the equipment; they do not have the second TOD screen necessary for CBTC operations; even the electric portions of the couplers will need to be altered, since there are not enough spare pins.

The alteration project is going to be a major undertaking and might not even work.

The blinking Green don't mean anything because the computer is giving the T/O conditions ahead. Non CBTC train run on the signal systerm.

What Conditions ahead?

@Maserati7200 I got it now thanks, but, besides the (L) and (7) , wouldnt it be possible to add this to the SIR, as its only 1 line in SI.. and maybe the (G)

What Conditions ahead?

@Maserati7200 I got it now thanks, but, besides the (L) and (7) , wouldnt it be possible to add this to the SIR, as its only 1 line in SI.. and maybe the (G)

In other words what PBD is saying is that a blinking green is not a signal aspect like a solid green, or a red over red...it means absolutely nothing except that the train is using CBTC. the "signals" are delivered, by the computer, to the T/O in the cab and they show on the screen.

Archived