LIRR un-mated M7 near Hillside

Maddog

So the other day I noticed an un-mated M7 (looks like a "half" M7) in the freight yard that runs along the Babylon line approaching the Hillside Maintenance complex. It appears to be on a flat car. Does anyone know what that car is there for and where it's going to? Curious as to why it's unmated and where its other mate is. I couldn't catch the number of the car, my eyes just can't see that far. Thanks!

I don't think it was there Tuesday, because I had gone down the Montauk and I would have definitely noticed that. I'm gonna guess it's mate was involved in one of the Jamaica accidents last year or perhaps the Syosset grade crossing incident?

It was definitely there Tuesday b/c I went in to the city on Sunday evening and again on Wednesday evening and it was still there. Tried to get the car number with no such luck both times. It probably is from one of those incidents, I was just curious if anyone knew specifically.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to update you guys, I rode from Jamaica down the Babylon line yesterday past the freight layup leading to Hillside and there are now 4 un-mated M7's that appear to be lined up for re-mating. Each car was lined up to it's mate but separated by yellow work vehicles positioned between each un-mated car. I am sure these are from the derailment incidents back in November and are coming back to be put back in service. Just thought that info might be helpful.

Archived