Trolly, streetcar, and other older lines.

metsfan

So, i recently discovered that a trolly line ran through my town and the trolly network connected to trenton and philadelphia.

Where are maps of these systems? Where else were these in the us?

Thoughts on their removal?

I knew that there used to be an extensive trolly network in most areas of the country, however i had no idea that it was this expansive and comprehensive, covering all most 90% of the country's cities and their surrounding areas.

Do you think a trolly line with minimal ROW should be re-instated? Tracks in the streets, grooved rail with overhead line in the lane of traffic following the direction of traffic where these lines used to be?

- A

The placard in town has that information actually. It's outside a VERY old building which used to sell trolly and train tickets and i believe may have been an office for the trolly company.

- A

Check your local towns historical maps or old county maps. They should have them listed.

The problem, is that this area is very tied into the part of NJ across the river, and this area has been inhabited steadily since the 1600's. Lots of overlapping records with little solid and comprehensive information. Keyword searches bring up 80,000 pages all with one piece of information, but nothing with all of the pieces.

When i go into town tomorrow i will look again. The maps etc should be available, and i will ask about it when i have the time. Since my late grandfather has some history serving the local municipality might make things a lil easier.

- A

Archived