Wire problem on NJCL causes slight delays.

metsfan

Not sure I heard it went through a phase gap and never came back alive. The Hudson Protect came and rescued the set.

There was some wind out today, perhaps the slider was misaligned?

Weird stuff. I've been seeing more 46's go down to long branch than 44's recently, lot of 44's going to south amboy with the arrows. Just sitting at nwk noticed this patten increase over the last month.

- A

Another incident this month? NJT is seriously up stercous creek:eek:

Actually all of the other issues were amtrak owned wires. This is the first (NJT) wire issue.

An interesting side note. My best friend's dad who sadly passed away in late 2007 used to be in charge of all of the overhead wire stuff between NYP and phl for amtrak. I'm sure that if he were alive today things would be better than they are, because he had that job for 10 years, and was 2nd in charge for 10 years before that. I never experienced or heard about a wire issue while he was on the job (though they may have happened). He was to be in charge of the upgrade program in that section of the NEC and was an electrical engineer with a masters degree from rutgers university in electrical engineering.

- A

I know this is off topic, but had anyone seen the recent pantograph testings on the Acela? I personally think that Amtrak is doing the right thing since their front pantographs slide in the direction of travel and therefore has less of a chance snagging the wire with the pantograph should an incident occur. I acknowledge the fact that all pantographs can travel in any direction, but there are advantages and disadvantages when running in either direction. Since Amtrak is doing this, the wear and tear on the pantograph would increase but more catenary would be saved vs having the rear pantograph push against the wire and snagging sections of catenary just to save the carbon strips. SEPTA is running their AEM7s and ALP-44 with the front pantograph simply b/c they want to save the carbon strips, but doesn't care if large sections of catenary are brought down. What do you guy all think?

Amtrak is doing this with the Acela's as a 90 day test. So far there has not been much of a difference with performance of the pantograph. The HHP's and Toasters(except Keystone Service) must have the back pantograph up unless there is a problem with it.

Aesthetically the back one up when the motor is pulling looks better on something like the HHP8 or AEM7,ALP 44/46. With the Acela's it looks just fine either way.

Here are recent shots of them testing it:

http://kaback9.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1526110

http://kaback9.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1536293

Neat stuff.

Thinking now i've seen :septa: EMU with pants backwards (sorta like kriss kross). :cool::eek:

- A

That's what all RR agencies should do with their EMUs. Like I said before, pantographs can run in any directions but there are advantages and disadvantages in both scenarios. Having some pantographs backwards and others forward can balance the stress on the catenary like on the SNCF RER or the Eurostar.

But about SEPTA EMU sets with both backwards and forward pans, it really seems impossible since SEPTA doesn't have a loop in any of their yards.

That's what all RR agencies should do with their EMUs. Like I said before, pantographs can run in any directions but there are advantages and disadvantages in both scenarios. Having some pantographs backwards and others forward can balance the stress on the catenary like on the SNCF RER or the Eurostar.

But about SEPTA EMU sets with both backwards and forward pans, it really seems impossible since SEPTA doesn't have a loop in any of their yards.

They dont really loop, they kinda just shuffle back & forth, like a saw. Only way to turn them without the loops is to run them through the various junctions.

- A

It is but I thought we were talking about turning equipment...

There is/was a wye in my town that used to allow the RDC's to turn without a loop. Sadly most of that whole area is torn up or built over, but some of it remains.

- A

It is but I thought we were talking about turning equipment...
What I was trying to say is that turning equipments take loads of time. In a busy interlocking deep in the day, it is nearly impossible to turn equipments using the main tracks.

What I was trying to say is that turning equipments take loads of time. In a busy interlocking deep in the day, it is nearly impossible to turn equipments using the main tracks.

I understand what your saying, but its done everyday. Operations like this are thought of during day to day operations, especially since its the only way to turn equipment. My best advice for you is to get a scanner and listen in to the NEC, you hear strange things all day long.

There is/was a wye in my town that used to allow the RDC's to turn without a loop. Sadly most of that whole area is torn up or built over, but some of it remains.

- A

The Newtown line right? I think its a shame. I took a walking tour of it a few years back, at least its not like the line they just ripped up for a rail trail think that is the Bethlehem branch? A rail trail seems to be the death of any ROW that could be used again.

The Newtown line right? I think its a shame. I took a walking tour of it a few years back, at least its not like the line they just ripped up for a rail trail think that is the Bethlehem branch? A rail trail seems to be the death of any ROW that could be used again.

Yea, thankfully all of the ROW that have been converted can be changed back. It's a provision all of them have.

- A

Archived