President Obama puts high-speed trains on fast track

metsfan

Well, I know rail transportation seems old and stubborn. But still, would you pay more to expand highway systems and airports or just build a trans-continental high-speed rail system? You need to take in mutiple ideas and facts and put them all together and examin them.

My word on New High-Speed Rail vs Roads and Air:

High-Speed Rail:

Pros: Fast, Reliable and rolling under all weather.

Cons: Not so Flexible - Need rails to travel.

Roads/Air:

Pros: Can be Fast, Fully Flexible - Can go anywhere.

Cons: Can be Slow, Less Reliable, Cannot operate under bad weather.

Period!

I am again, not anti-HSR, I am only against a transcontinental high speed railway. Regional high speed rail lines would be comparable and may be even better than the European ones if built.

You don't get my point, you think you do, but you don't. You are misinterpreting the information here. What you're telling me is, that you think I'm simply anti-HSR, no. I am for HSR, just that it should be built where it should. A lot of people give great ideas (like the transcontinental high speed line), but in the end, when it faces reality, it's not going to work.

Only lines where there is a potentially successful market will be successful in the future. If it won't be succesful, it's a waste.

Two considerations that HSR operating companies in America must consider:

-Low cost

-High speed

MTR is right, high speed rail doesn't make any sense from New York to Cali. However, HSR would be great for something like San Francisco to Los Angeles. HSR is should be an alternative to a long car/bus ride or a really short distance by airplane. HSR would also make sense for like upstate NY to Manhattan.

MTR is right, high speed rail doesn't make any sense from New York to Cali. However, HSR would be great for something like San Francisco to Los Angeles. HSR is should be an alternative to a long car/bus ride or a really short distance by airplane. HSR would also make sense for like upstate NY to Manhattan.

You got me right, Maserati. That's what I like to see.

High speed being over 90 mph. Chicago division struggles with antiquated freight lines inherited from the first railroads. Amtrak does not own any tracks out west that i know of. That needs to change with state owned trackage with federal, state, or multi-state funding for the train itself. It's being done now and it really works well.

- A

High speed being over 90 mph. Chicago division struggles with antiquated freight lines inherited from the first railroads. Amtrak does not own any tracks out west that i know of. That needs to change with state owned trackage with federal, state, or multi-state funding for the train itself. It's being done now and it really works well.

- A

I do not find that as justification for a high speed transcontinental railway line.

THSR will be SLOWER and pricier than commercial flights.

This will most likely go through: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio_Hub

The reason is, the distances are shorter and it could compete very well with buses and cars. The Ohio Hub project will bring dollars, not the THSR.

Archived