Another GP40FH-2 in Dover

Ken S.

Nice shot :tup: these things aren't quite done yet thankfully! But definitely get your shots while you can.

I've got shots of 3 of the remaining 4 units, plus the 4144. The 4139 is at the MMC.

Few more months.

Nice catch!

- A

I believe that the rebuilt MN units are being troublesome plus the frequent PL42AC breakdowns, so these might be around longer and they haven't been isolated to the Hoboken Division yet.

I think that honor would have to go to the CNJ Geeps, 40 years of continuous service. The FH's are slow but other than that great units.

How are they slow? I rode behind 4141 when I shot it and it didn't seem slow when the train went express from Newark to Short Hills. I also rode a Boonton Line express behind 4142 and that was slow only because of Montclair's grade crossings and slabs of concrete next to the tracks every 500 yards.

Their acceleration is nothing special, I would prefer to be pulled behind a Geep, I think the FH's are great units don't get me wrong but if you have one pulling on a Bay Head train and then the next day get pulled by a Geep its alot different the Geep is much quicker out of the gate. I'm not saying you won't reach MAS but it just takes a while longer with the FH's. The best though is still the F40's.

The cats accelerate like woah. The engineers take it easy on the GP40FH-2 , so no reel up before advancing master throttle. All 10 times i've seen them both at nwk and hob they take it easy. You can hear the age in the engine, just like 502 before it was retired.

The CNJ geeps reel up about 60% of max rpm before they roll out, but i have seen the engineer floor it before rolling out a few times.

The cats do about 80% to 90% when the engineer wants to show off, but they can roll out gently too.

Speaking of problematic PL42AC, i saw one with 4202 hooked to it "elephant" style this week. It was behind hooked to the cars. I got photos.

:)

- A

Problematic PL42's look at this(note not my greatest work but I only had one shot) and it keeps on topic because look who leading :(.

http://kaback9.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1581968

really its just an equip move but...I wouldn't be surprised since 4026 seems to have alot of bugs, not the first time I have seen it being pulled/pushed somewhere.

I'm going to visit hob tomorrow & see if i ca catch another one. I've been lucky with them lately.

If they are not working on the canopy again i'll go down every platform & look around. :(

- A

Archived