Vancouver's Canada Line To Open 3 Months Ahead of Time

MTR Admiralty

This was actually announced about a month ago, but for the purposes of our discussion, I shall post it here.

Vancouver's Canada Line to open in September

Last Updated: Friday, March 27, 2009 | 4:56 PM PT

CBC News

Metro Vancouver's new rapid transit CanadaLine will open by Labour Day, officials announced Friday.Metro Vancouver's new rapid transit CanadaLine will open by Labour Day, officials announced Friday. (CBC)

Metro Vancouver's new rapid transit line will open three months ahead of schedule, the B.C. government announced Friday morning.

The $1.9-billion Canada Line from downtown Vancouver to the Vancouver International Airport and Richmond will be open by early September, officials said.

Premier Gordon Campbell and other officials rode the entire length of the route for the first time on Friday morning, with reporters.

Campbell said the line will provide the same transportation capacity as 10 lanes of roadway along the route, reduce the number of one-way vehicle trips per day by 200,000, and cut greenhouse gas emissions by 11,000 to 14,000 tonnes a year.

The elevated rapid-transit system will have 16 stations, two bridges, and approximately 19 kilometres of tunnel. It was built by TransLink, the regional transportation authority, with funding largely from the provincial and federal governments.

The construction, which began three years ago, has triggered opposition from merchants along the route whose business were adversely affected by construction, with one store owner currently suing TransLink over her losses.

Meanwhile, Seattle's Link project will open this July, a month later than the anticipated June date.

The elevated rapid-transit system will have 16 stations, two bridges, and approximately 19 kilometres of tunnel. It was built by TransLink, the regional transportation authority, with funding largely from the provincial and federal governments.

Their use of words are incorrect. It isn't an elevated system if 12 miles (19 km) are underground. They should have just took out the word elevated. My English teacher would not approve of this article. :P He has taught me well. :cool:

Their use of words are incorrect. It isn't an elevated system if 12 miles (19 km) are underground. They should have just took out the word elevated. My English teacher would not approve of this article. :P He has taught me well. :cool:

Not only that, there's a stretch on YVR Island (containing the Airport) that has at-grade trackage. So yes, it's not totally elevated. The reason why they are using the word elevated is based on the assumption that the Canada Line would be run as a Skytrain line, which for the most part IS elevated.

• 2 weeks later...
Yay, this line is finally going to open with wonderful trains and it is sure a wonderful 3rd Quarter for the Pacific Seaboard's transportation geeks, :)!

I also like this Canada Line since it really shows pride to it's country, :)!

BTW, is there America Line anywhere in the USA, :P?

There were names like RAV and Olympic, however they decided on Canada Line.

The reason why they tried to call it the Olympic line was because the other SkyTrain lines were named after major events in Vancouver. The Expo Line, the first line, was named after the Vancouver '86 Expo. The Millenium Line was obviously named for the millenium. Vancouver is supposed to host the 2010 Winter Olympics, which is the primary reason why they tried to call it the Olympic Line.

RAV is an acronym for Richmond-Airport-Vancouver. The line will start from Waterfront, Vancouver, travelling down Cambie Street and will split into two. One branch will go to the Vancouver Airport and the other will go to Richmond, hence the proposal.

By the way, the technology is not the same as SkyTrain. Mark II cars will not be used. It is automated but it will use ROTEM trains.

The service that currently travels down the route is the 98 B-line bus. The bus is reputably known as America's first advanced bus rapid transit route.

Yup, got that info. I feel either Olympic and Canada is good. RAV doesn't sound good.

And yeah, the train and technology is different. Glad to hear they are using ROTEM trains, it is a lot like the trains they use in East Asia, :P!

Yeah

What disappoints me is that, ticket gates have not been installed yet, even after operation.

Yeah, it increases people getting free rides which, obviously doesn't do good to the city and providence and the country, :P.

The province cried foul and it wanted Translink to install faregates at every SkyTrain station if possible. The Canada Line was supposed to be built with faregates in place, however it was decided that they will be installed later.

I feel they should install these gates. Like, no police have time to chack these damn tickets, :P.

They do have enforcement, however they make periodic checks.

I feel though, that North Vancouver should have some rail access to Vancouver proper, somehow.

Yeah, I know but not regualry.

And if North Vancouver gets a line, it'll be a lot like the Staten Island Railway in New York City, a separate line.

Originally I hope that the Canada Line could be extended northwards into N Vancouver. The North Vancouverites would much prefer a frequent rapid transit line than the SeaBus(2 vessels; soon 3)

I believe the Canada Line would need to go under the harbor ground or on a bridge. Which way do you think will work better?

Tunnel of course, it's plain engineering logic.

Waterfront is already underground and it's well below grade. Taking it out on a bridge would mean a steep ramp, hence a huge grade difference.

But first, I'd say the Canada Line should build its post-2009 stations (in-fill stations) at 33rd Ave, 54th (I believe), Capstan and YVR 3 IINM. It could be extended south of Brighouse, IMO, to Steveston.

1. Yeah, it would be a steep grade considering it being very close to the water and going on a bridge. And hope they build a tunnel and also make two more that is capable of bringing road transport through.

2. Well, if it isn't going to be problematic to have the extra stretch, then it'll be fine. I just hope the Providence of British Columbia and Local Government and TransLink be sued.

Province, not Providence.

A province is a state-like jurisdiction, a providence is a haven.

Why should BC, Translink and InTransitBC be sued? They're doing a fine job.

There is a bit of right of way at North Vancouver, a line could run along that ROW, cross a bridge into Vancouver and then merge with the WCE. Therefore, North Vancouverites have better access, via rail transport.

1. Ah, the good small town of Rhode Island Capital always tangles me, :).

2. No, not sued because of service! They may get sued by businesses and local residents.

3. Do you mean the Canadian Route 99/1A Bridge (Lions Gate Bridge) or a Bridge nearby?

And what is WCE?

Oh God... subway construction affects local businesses. So if a system is being expanded, you want the local groups to sue the system being it is being expanded?

Lions Gate, AFAIK, is by Stanley Park, which is too far to the west. I meant the 2nd Narrows Bridge.

West Coast Express, a commuter rail service servicing Mission, Maple Ridge, Coquitlam etc...

1. No, I don't want local groups to sue the Subway construction! I am worried they'll sue like what they did or almost did to the Canada Line construction.

2. Oh, you meant the Canada Route [1] Bridge? Yeah, that might work.

3. Oh man, how did I not guess it? Well, the WCE 'West Coast Exp.' is kinda already busy so the new Evergreen Line can help.

-2nd Narrows Bridge is a drawbridge for freight rail

-Evergreen Line is a new market. It will serve Coquitlam, Port Moody, Burquitlam and Burnaby. WCE is a commuter service, the Evergreen Line will be a RT line with intermediate stops. So it has a market of its own.

-Oh, I think I seen it but it is pretty hard to look at on Satellite Images. So, what will you send over that Bridge? The WCE or Canada Line?

-You got that right, a 'Metro-Rail' and Commuter Rail is not like each other. Meh, a good comparison with the LIRR City Zone (From Penn Station) and Queens Blvd. Line.

A commuter rail service.

Archived