Vancouver's Canada Line To Open 3 Months Ahead of Time

MTR Admiralty

So, you mean extending the WCE to North Vancouver? That would be nice addition to the WCE and also will boost ridership.

Why not, it'll be cool, it could generate a new market there. Plus SeaBus only plies between Waterfront and Lonsdale Quay. North Vancouverites have to take a bus at either end.

Well, this'll actually make the Waterfront Commuter Rail Station useful, as well as getting people from North Vancouver onto the railways so the Ferry wouldn't need to be loaded with peoples.

Yes it would, because Waterfront Station is an important hub now and later. It's one of Canada's most well know bus-rail-boat intermodal hubs.

I would like a line from NV to Vancouver via Lions Gate but it will have a huge impact on the localities.

1. Agreed and it serves Busses, Trains and SeaBusses.

2. Well, that'll require a totally new railway and a totally new connection to the existing freighter bridge. IMO, I'd prefer using the existing freighter bridge since it is pretty quiet up there.

No, the bridge on the west is for vehicular traffic. That's why it's invasive.

That is not only the point, it'll require more constuction and noise. Vehicular and Rail on one bridge isn't as invasive as a new line being constructed.

You missed my point. I'm going to send a commuter rail line to North Vancouver via the existing WCE tracks and then connecting to the 2nd Narrows Bridge, which is a rail-only drawbridge. That's point 1. 2nd Narrows: Old_second_narrows_bridge_V.jpg

I was trying to design a line, probably a rapid transit line, that connects Vancouver with West Vancouver (which is WEST of NORTH Vancouver). It would have tunnelled west to Stanley Park and over the Lions Gate Bridge, which is a vehicular only bridge. Not only that, the bridge is very narrow (only 3 lanes wide) and is probably incapable of handling a transit line anywhere. Lions_Gate.jpg

Oh yeah, very good point. The Lions Gate is not capable to handle a commuter-rail line and the 2nd one will impact WCE service badly.

Okay, so we got the photos laid out here, but due to both being so narrow and sets of commuter rail cars and a diesel engine needing to travel in two directions. Does the 2nd Narrows Bridge have 2 tracks?

It's not capable of any transit line, regardless if it is a BRT or SkyTrain or commuter rail.

And I believe so, a connection could be built in Vancouver to connect the tracks to the WCE tracks.

Archived