Signals with two amber/blue lights

Joe

Yesterday riding the RFW on a S/B (F) we were at...21st-Queensbridge (I believe) and the signal on the south end of the platform had two amber/blue lights in the space of one normal light on it. These were the lowest on the signal. What does this aspect mean when lit?

I've also seen this type of signal at Marcy Ave, here is a photo, it's the right-most signal.

If it is what I think it is, there not amber or blue. The lights are red and lunar white.

Here is the clip from the rule book on the signal.

Rule 3.67

TRAIN ORDER SIGNAL

3.67(a) A fixed signal located near the

entrance to under river tunnels or

bridges, at stations where gap fillers

(movable platforms) are in operation

and at certain other locations, and are

controlled automatically or manually

from a designated point. When two ( 2 )

horizontal RED lights are displayed by

this signal, it indicates STOP and STAY

and also instructs the Train Operator to

call the Control Center by radio or telephone

for instructions. When two ( 2 )

horizontal lunar white lights are displayed

by this signal, it is an indication

to proceed without orders, in accordance

with related fixed signals.

order.jpg

Well the white light is really called lunar white (white with a blue tint) and it is the same type of glass used on a one shot timer. The only time I have ever seen the red lights on has bee when the homeball was red too. I don't think they are used that much if they are used at all since both T/Os and C/Rs must have a working radio, that and the NTTs have radios built in.

Yeah; in order to make it "lunar white", the glass has a blue tint, to filter yellow out of the incandescent bulbs and make it look more lik a pure white. But what's happening is that they are replacing the incandescents with LED arrays, which are already bluish white. so now they look even more blue. (and those illustrations in the rules show them as blue anyway).

Archived