PATH station closure; Sunday May 17.

metsfan

http://www.panynj.gov/CommutingTravel/path/html/path-station-closure-may17.html

I overheard an OEM guy talking to the hudson news kiosk owner at the WTC station earlier today about the station being closed from 6 to 11:30. I guess this is what they were talking about.

Weird that i hear it the way i did vs stumbling upon the info randomly online.

- A

http://www.panynj.gov/CommutingTravel/path/html/path-station-closure-may17.html

I overheard an OEM guy talking to the hudson news kiosk owner at the WTC station earlier today about the station being closed from 6 to 11:30. I guess this is what they were talking about.

Weird that i hear it the way i did vs stumbling upon the info randomly online.

- A

Are trains going to be terminating at Exchange Place?

Are trains going to be terminating at Exchange Place?

EXP can't act as a terminal, so they may terminate at jsq. since the track layout was changed after 9/11 they may be able to do this but it would take 3-4 minutes longer for incoming trains to get into the station while the OOS train switched over to the hob/jsq/nwk side.

I will ask today when i go to hoboken what their plans are. ;)

- A

EXP can't act as a terminal, so they may terminate at jsq. since the track layout was changed after 9/11 they may be able to do this but it would take 3-4 minutes longer for incoming trains to get into the station while the OOS train switched over to the hob/jsq/nwk side.

I will ask today when i go to hoboken what their plans are. ;)

- A

It did act as a temporary terminal for a while before WTC re-opened.

However they would probably have this:

NWK <-> 33RD

33RD <-> JSQ via HOB

Exchange Place acted as a terminal following September 11th, when they reopened the station in 2002/2003 - the services they operated were Exchange Place - Newark and Exchange Place - Hoboken - Exchange Place still has the middle track that enables trains to relay and cross over (in terms of Newark-bound trains).

Exchange place has no way of turning trains to make them outbound without getting in the way of inbound trains is what i meant. I'm guessing they will terminate at JSQ, since it's so much easier, and have JSQ-EXP shuttle.

They could also simply unload all pax at EXP and loop around empty, though this would be risky since any delays unloading would hold up the entire system.

- A

IMO, EXP is, in a way, redundant without access to WTC. It does have ferries, but Newport has them as well. Those along the HBLR could ride the line to Newport and then take the PATH there into Manhattan (or ferry to Lower Manhattan). It would make sense to run trains from Newark straight to 33rd and run the 33-HOB-JSQ line.

Yea. The HBLR and PATH might seem redudnant, but remember the majority of PATH traffic is between nyc and hoboken ((NJT) trains & busses), nyc and jsq (where people get on bus), and newark and WTC, where people can use (A)(C)(E)(1)(2)(3), (NJT) trains, bus, and greyhound and amtrak. PATH and HBLR has a different layout with lots of intermediate stops between newport & exp, and it goes to bayonne & weehawken. They are 2 different ideas that happen to fit together perfectly in the PATH served HBLR station areas.

- A

Yea. The HBLR and PATH might seem redudnant, but remember the majority of PATH traffic is between nyc and hoboken ((NJT) trains & busses), nyc and jsq (where people get on bus), and newark and WTC, where people can use (A)(C)(E)(1)(2)(3), (NJT) trains, bus, and greyhound and amtrak. PATH and HBLR has a different layout with lots of intermediate stops between newport & exp, and it goes to bayonne & weehawken. They are 2 different ideas that happen to fit together perfectly in the PATH served HBLR station areas.

- A

Did I say they are redundant? I only said Exchange Place without access to WTC is redundant.

Did I say they are redundant? I only said Exchange Place without access to WTC is redundant.

Keep in mind it used to serve PRR trains there (same with Erie, and Lackawanna, the one remaining terminal still being there at hob), and it wouldn't be redundant, because 2 lines run there, one to newark, and one to hoboken. 1.75 for a swipe to get between exp and newark is a deal. Many people use HBLR to get to or from exp PATH, and PATH to or from nwk. :)

- A

Also, keep this in mind, I'm not sure if any of you know this but Exchange Place serves as densely concentrated area of financial institutions and offices, Goldman Sachs, Citi, AIG and Lord Abbett are among the largest tenants there, so the influx of employees inbound into Exchange Place from Hoboken, Newark and JC and outbound from New York is very great - the PATH station there serves the dual purpose of inbound/outbound commuters into NY from localized JC and the reverse-commuters into Exchange Place.

The intermodal transportation options on the JC Waterfront and the concentration of those services between Exchange Place and Newport are more than warranted.

Also, keep this in mind, I'm not sure if any of you know this but Exchange Place serves as densely concentrated area of financial institutions and offices, Goldman Sachs, Citi, AIG and Lord Abbett are among the largest tenants there, so the influx of employees inbound into Exchange Place from Hoboken, Newark and JC and outbound from New York is very great - the PATH station there serves the dual purpose of inbound/outbound commuters into NY from localized JC and the reverse-commuters into Exchange Place.

The intermodal transportation options on the JC Waterfront and the concentration of those services between Exchange Place and Newport are more than warranted.

Correct. There are about 12k-23k employees in that office complex at exp alone, plus you got the hotels and the nearby residential towers. Not all take PATH obviously, but enough do to make trains packed at exp even if they are empty at wtc.

- A

Archived