Judge will rule on MTA union dues Thursday

Trainspotter

Judge will rule on MTA union dues Thursday

A judge will decide Thursday whether to restore the Transport Workers Union's right to automatically collect dues form its members' paychecks, a revenue flow halted as punishment for the 2005 city-crippling transit strike. The 90-day penalty against the union began June 1, and TWU Local 100 argued in court yesterday it has done what the law requires to restore dues collection.

The city opposes restoration and wants the union's executive board to promise no future strikes, but the MTA wants the judge to restore dues on a probationary basis and revoke them if there is another threat to strike.

Should be interesting indeed...

I still pay my dues anway so its no skin off my back..

I myself didn't mind you guys striking and fighting for what you deserve. While it did inconvenienced me and a lot of other New Yorkers a bit I was rooting for you guys the whole time.

I myself didn't mind you guys striking and fighting for what you deserve. While it did inconvenienced me and a lot of other New Yorkers a bit I was rooting for you guys the whole time.

Thanks...

Thats was in the past though and im sure ALL parties invovled learned from thier mistakes..

It was posted elsewhere that the judge said no.

I am happy this happened. Roger says he wants a strong union, right? A strong union doesn't come with members having dues taken out, regardless of whether they want them out or not. It was basically a forced payment before. Now with members voluntarily paying their dues, they can see who wants a union and who doesn't. Yes some want a union, but don't want to pay (parasites). Now Roger and union heads can see and evaluate themselves, and realize what THEY done to make so many members angry and not want to pay. The lack of payment should make them realize they are doing to little to protect us, and some are seeing them as useless. We are tired of talk, and want to see action. Draconian disciplinary charges, and "time off" for monotonous things is a serious problem, and too many depot/crew chairs are playing that "just sign it and take the days" crap. Too many union people are just interested in their own gain, and what they can get. Those who look out for the employees, are the ones being thrown out of the union office. I am seeing it now personally, and it is an embarrassment. I'm really beginning to understand what OUR union is about, and it seems to not be us. It has to come to an end. You wonder if you just see the boss by yourself, since those who go in with you seem to be just dead overpaid weight.

They want their money, time to go and talk with those who don't pay, and tell them to their faces the consequences. No vacation time (can't get days off, but have to be paid at the end of the year), no COA's, and no overtime AT ALL! This should be a last resort, AFTER the union SHOWS us why we need them, and why they should stay representing us. Action time, no more words. TALK IS CHEAP. Action speaks louder than words.

Judges decision: http://www.twulocal100.org/files/NYCTADECISION1.pdf

Politics: http://www.twulocal100.org/?q=node/767

Archived