Old Versions of Microsoft Windows

Bracamonte

No, but i do have os 9.2 & most of the OS versions up to tiger for mac. At one point i had 8.1 and 7.1 and 7.5 but they were installed on the HD, not disks or discs.

:)

- A

As a PC geek myself.

Ive used and downloaded Windows 9x/ME(very buggy)/NT4/ the Windows XP Preview known as Windows Neptune in 1999(Based on Windows 2000)/Windows 3.1, Didnt played with older DOS releases(Older then 3.1). Currently a Beta Tester for Windows 7 since October 2008 when leaked builds came out...(To RTM(Release to Manufacturing(ex. Retails) in October 22, 2009 with Server 2008 R2 x64 Only)

Also Used, Windows XP, XP FLP, Vista, Sever 2008 R1, Server 2003..

Those with Windows 95, i suggest them running Opera browser, seeing its the only browser that brings them to Web standards of today. Even for Windows 98/ME/NT4 which are also unsupported by MSFT

I've used all of them except for ME. Having read on the problems ME had, I'm glad I didn't have a computer that had ME installed. Its a risk having Windows 98 installed since it isn't supported anymore. But in your case, everything's fine since you are up to date.

The best Windows operating system I've used is XP. I've had tons of issues with 98. My old '99 Gateway computer gave me tons of problems. I had to get rid of it in August 2006.

Why is it normally a risk to have Windows 98 installed? Like I said, I have AVG installed on Windows 98

I've used all of them except for ME. Having read on the problems ME had, I'm glad I didn't have a computer that had ME installed. Its a risk having Windows 98 installed since it isn't supported anymore. But in your case, everything's fine since you are up to date.

The best Windows operating system I've used is XP. I've had tons of issues with 98. My old '99 Gateway computer gave me tons of problems. I had to get rid of it in August 2006.

Actually Windows 98/ME both ended extended support together in July 2006. So it wouldn't of made a difference if you went back to W98(Original or SE) or not.. Of course Mainsteam Support for Windows 98 ended in 2003, and Mainstream for Windows ME in 2004. But for security updates and some hotfixes its 2006 for gd..

I would stay away from Windows 9x if you can. I've found NT-based Windows to be a helluva lot more reliable. The best Windows' i've used have been 2000 Pro & XP Pro.

I've used versions of Windows going back to 3.1 (and NT 3.1). With a few patches, NT 3.51 could even run many "new" apps like Office 98 and IE 5. Pretty cool to see how the overall NT structure hadn't changed in so long.

Since Andy mentioned Macs, i'll add that i've used Macs as old as the SE FDHD and had System 6 on it as the oldest. On an LC III+ (aka Performa 460) i've used NetBSD. Those 33Mhz 68030s were no slouch if you added the 68882 FPU.

I would stay away from Windows 9x if you can. I've found NT-based Windows to be a helluva lot more reliable. The best Windows' i've used have been 2000 Pro & XP Pro.

I've used versions of Windows going back to 3.1 (and NT 3.1). With a few patches, NT 3.51 could even run many "new" apps like Office 98 and IE 5. Pretty cool to see how the overall NT structure hadn't changed in so long.

Since Andy mentioned Macs, i'll add that i've used Macs as old as the SE FDHD and had System 6 on it as the oldest. On an LC III+ (aka Performa 460) i've used NetBSD. Those 33Mhz 68030s were no slouch if you added the 68882 FPU.

DOS which includes the 9x Family ended already in support making ME/98 the last to survive! Now we are dealing with the Windows NT Era..

I have used prtty much every OS that Microsoft has come out with starting from OS/2, DOS and 95, 98, ME, win 2000 , 2003, 2008 , XP, VISTA. I've been into the computer thing for a while.

Microsoft no longer supports win2k either.

I have used prtty much every OS that Microsoft has come out with starting from OS/2, DOS and 95, 98, ME, win 2000 , 2003, 2008 , XP, VISTA. I've been into the computer thing for a while.

Microsoft no longer supports win2k either.

They still support Windows 2k. It will end in 2010.

They still support Windows 2k. It will end in 2010.

That is only for businesses, consumers are not included in extended support. It is pretty limited, they will only issue security updates until 2010 and if you want hotfixes you have to pay extra for them, consumers get no support, businesses will get paid support and there will be no IE7 or IE8 in win2000. I have seen alot of businesses still using windows 2000 when they should really have upgraded their systems by now.

That is only for businesses, consumers are not included in extended support. It is pretty limited, they will only issue security updates until 2010 and if you want hotfixes you have to pay extra for them, consumers get no support, businesses will get paid support and there will be no IE7 or IE8 in win2000. I have seen alot of businesses still using windows 2000 when they should really have upgraded their systems by now.

Consumer as well is getting supported..

Consumer version is the Professional edition. Server, Advanced Server, Datacast etc.. is Business related..

Consumer as well is getting supported..

Consumer version is the Professional edition. Server, Advanced Server, Datacast etc.. is Business related..

Its not the version what I was referring to, when you call for support they ask you if you are a consumer or business. Im sure they won't refuse support to an individual but it is very worth upgrading as newer software is really geared towards that changes and options that older OS are lacking.

Its not the version what I was referring to, when you call for support they ask you if you are a consumer or business. Im sure they won't refuse support to an individual but it is very worth upgrading as newer software is really geared towards that changes and options that older OS are lacking.

heh, support with MSFT via phone? I dont think so, those people charge per incident. I never used them except activating my PC during the 2005s..

Of course July 2010 will be the last for support of Windows 2000 + Security Updates. Microsoft will continue to provide free Online Help & Support for about a few yrs..

Archived