Old skool' Pics

Nice flash back that (5) at 14th st is some where after 1979 when they started using the current roll signs

BTW that Number 16 train(Now known as the (L)) is not an IRT but a BMT, i also that thats an R16 if im correct?

Cool, the first pic is when the (2) went to New Lots Ave

correct

Nice flash back that (5) at 14th st is some where after 1979 when they started using the current roll signs

BTW that Number 16 train(Now known as the (L)) is not an IRT but a BMT, i also that thats an R16 if im correct?

Thanks guys:p

That mustve been rare since almost every picture of IRT equipment on nycsubway.org dating back well into the mid 80s has the old style 1950s rollsigns with the all-caps font. It seems it took em a while to finally update all the b-div equipment too since theres photos of the franklin shuttle in the 80s still saying "7 / FRANKLIN"

It seems like there were two styles that didnt seem to be too common

the 70s era one where the background was the color of the subway bullet:

GG Bklyn Queens

this one is a bit hypothetical since ive never seen it, it would be the R32 style one but with the double letter designations, perhaps with the older subway colors.

My guess is with all the problems going on in the city from the 70s into the 80s they didnt have money to fix everything untill the late 80s when the double letter system was finally removed, and cars like the R32 and R38 were overhauled.

Archived