MetroCard Trade-In and Reuse

MAA89

You want to get this country out of debt? Simple. Every securities trade by an institution is taxed at 1/10 of 1%. All "capital gains" are ordinary income, and all tax exemptions for investment corporations that apply to regular corporations are done away with.

Then there will be so much money flowing the idea of taxing the public to buy Metrocards will be seen as ridiculous as it is. Making the many pay for the few, which is what has gotten the US into this recession to begin with.

While this is a great idea, I think the MTA wants the unlimited riders to use the ExpressPay Metrocards. You stick with that card until it expires and they'll mail you a new one. But I agree, I think there should be this option...OR go forward with the SmartCard program.

While the ExpressPay Card seems great, it is not an option for those who do not possess a debit/credit card (2 accounts for the Unlimited version). There will always be people who prefer (or require) to pay cash. I think the option of refilling an Unlimited Ride card and paying by cash should exist.

How much will the cost of the SmartCard program amount to (including R&D, initial production, advertising, mailing, running a website and dealing with customer's personal information, mailing replacements, etc)?

The metrocard is fine, it is not too high tech and it is better than the token because of the free transfers. Introducing new technology to mass transportation is double edged sword. I'm sure many of the posters on here are very tech savvy and would have no problem with a Smartcard, but you has a lot of people who can barely wipe themselves properly or form a rational thought and tourists who would be easily confused by new technology. Heck, a lot of these mouthbreathers can barely use the metrocard as it stands.

The only thing that bothers me with the current setup is that there is not enough machines at the heavily used stations, you get three or four machines and hicks who don't know what they are doing, and te only natural progression is me taking my frustration out on the bum currently using the station as their home/bathroom.

Archived