NJ Transit Light rail signals

Eric Kreszl

Hello Everyone,

I not sure if anyone will be able to answer this but I will give this question a chance anyway. Does anyone know what the crossing signals are like on the Hudson-Bergen and River Line Light Rail Systems? Crossing gates, Traffic lights etc. and the signaling systems in general. The only form of NJ Transit light rail I see are the LRV's at the Hoboken Terminal.

If anyone can answer this please let me know.

Eric

You can see the one thats for crossings in this photo:

P1000675.jpg

Its the sign with the bar like this "l". That shows that it can proceed at the crossing. When its its like "---", the operator can't proceed to cross.

As for the other signals, this is how it looks like:

P1000159.jpg

Red over Red means can't proceed. White over red means proceed. Yellow over red means proceed with caution, or in other words, a train isn't so far ahead of you.

You can see the one thats for crossings in this photo:

P1000675.jpg

Its the sign with the bar like this "l". That shows that it can proceed at the crossing. When its its like "---", the operator can't proceed to cross.

As for the other signals, this is how it looks like:

P1000159.jpg

Red over Red means can't proceed. White over red means proceed. Yellow over red means proceed with caution, or in other words, a train isn't so far ahead of you.

Thanks so much for the information. I have to ride the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail one of these days.

Eric

I have also seen some singals like this "/" or "\". Do you know what this means?

Thats more of a warning signal for operators when its like that. If the operator is going slow enough, then he/she should try to stop before the crossing, its all pending on the speed they're going. Most operators just break for it and blow the horn and ring the bells just in case.

Archived