Station Agent Exam #8011

Will-Bx-718

Yeah everyone gets 80 hours period, this is a completely full time job. Most people I've known from Staten Island usually put South Ferry as their home Station, or Bay Ridge on the N/R. And there's no training rates, you're paid full rate for a first year S/A from day one. I believe first year pay is about $19.50-$20.50/hr.

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk

And no your shifts and RDO's(Regular Days Off) won't change around. Once you've picked the tour you'll be working extra and your RDO's, they will remain the same until the next time we do a system wide pick for jobs.

We're currently doing a pick at the moment. The next one will be in Late September or early October. The one in October is called the winter pick and the current pick is called the summer pick. During the winter pick we also select vacation time as well for the upcoming year.

So when you get to participate in the system wide pick, pickings will be slim with your seniority, so you'll most likely be extra once again. But you'll be able to pick vacation time for the upcoming year. Usually new employees get about ten days of vacation going into the upcoming year. It can be less if you started working later into the current year. I'm not sure how they calculate for those situations though. But all in all, year one will be rough. Crappy jobs, traveling all over the city and having to walk on egg shells due to being on probation for one year. My wife just started on the job last year as a Property Protection Agent, and couldn't believe how demanding working for TA was. Just hang in there, things get better with time.

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk

• 8 months later...

Hello,

I was called for this position in Feb but I had to postpone it because I had just given birth. I have to report for the 2nd interview the 1st week in Dec. I see some of my questions were answered but I wanted to know more about the schedules. That's my biggest concern because I have a little baby and I need to have my babysitting set.

Are there overnight shifts/what's the latest an agent would be at a station?

What if a holiday lands during the training, will we be off?

Sorry if anything is repetitive. My biggest concern is setting up child care around my schedule.

Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I was called for this position in Feb but I had to postpone it because I had just given birth. I have to report for the 2nd interview the 1st week in Dec. I see some of my questions were answered but I wanted to know more about the schedules. That's my biggest concern because I have a little baby and I need to have my babysitting set.

Are there overnight shifts/what's the latest an agent would be at a station?

What if a holiday lands during the training, will we be off?

Sorry if anything is repetitive. My biggest concern is setting up child care around my schedule.

Thanks 

First of all congrats!! Sorry to have taken so long to reply to your post. I haven't been as active on this forum as I used to be. As a new clerk once you finish class you'll have an in class pick for the extra list. The only options you'll have are what tour you work. And they're limited to whatever OSAC (Operations Support & Assignment Center) needs. So there could end up being more am shifts than nights or PM's or whatever. This is impposbile to know until they level 2 supervisor( the class instructor) gets the list of needed jobs from OSAC. While in class you're off Saturdays, Sundays and all major holidays. Once you do get a set tour you'll only work that tour, but the hours you star may vary depnding on the booth. An am job is considered from 0400am until 1159am. A pm job from 1200 until 1959pm. So you could be starting a job any time within in those hours while being extra. But typically most booths start on the am tour from 5am-8am, with a few 415am and 0900am jobs PM's from 1pm-4pm with a few 1215pm and 1700pm jobs, and nights with all start times 8 hours later, with the few 2030pm and 0100am jobs. For your first few months it's going to be rought until you can actually pick a job. But you could try and talk to the supervisors down at OSAC to try and work with your childcare schedule. But don't be surprised if they don't, because honestly the nature of the business at TA doesn't work that way. They assign people on extra list according to seniority of people who actualy So you could be working different start times each day. I hope I explained everything clearly to you.

• 2 years later...

Does anyone know if their are any classes starting any time soon? Seems like this forum has been dead for years ! Just went to pre employment and I'm curious as to whether I am actually going to wait the 90 days and have multiple drug tests done before they call for a class

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone else been called in for pre employment . I had a real low number (24*) and just reinstated myself just in time for this list. They called me for pre employment so I'm just waiting to hear back after the drug test. What happened with me unfortunately is that i got my letter the day after I was supposed to report and I ended up going the day after that. They saw me and said it was no problem but I'm thinking I was probably the last one in and therefore if the class got full I don't know where that leaves me . List closes in 1 week so I don't know if I'm just out of luck if I don't get called or if there is another class . I mean I got called right so that should mean I'm in ? Who knows ? I'm still waiting to get this phone call to tell me what to do next but I'm worried about the whole list situation and whether that's just it if I don't hear anything back. Some people have said you don't hear anything others said a letter comes in if you get disqualified and a call comes in if you move to the next step. I've read so much on hear that I don't know what's right or not. This is so nerve racking !!

Archived