NYNJ Rail's Union Pacific loco running in Brooklyn

Y2Julio

I know what gauge is, you dont have to explain it to me, but it has NOTHING to do with what you were saying it does..

no matter what "wikipedia" claims...

I never said that gauge would increase accidents. I was trying to say that it was made to be incompatible with steam locomotives so they won't run on streets. That's all.

As i've said before, if you have rails, anything can happen. There have been gauge convertible rolling stock/power, the wheel center is simply offset enough to have the tire (tractional segment of wheel) be on center with one or the other, change out took about a work day.

- A

As i've said before, if you have rails, anything can happen. There have been gauge convertible rolling stock/power, the wheel center is simply offset enough to have the tire (tractional segment of wheel) be on center with one or the other, change out took about a work day.

- A

Yup. Who would have thought you'd have rapid transit cars up in BERA running on trolley tracks and using trolley poles for power.

- A

Yes indeed, but also those sharp curves on the TTC trolley lines are too sharp for steam locomotives.

Streetcar trucks are much closer together. If you try and put a typical main line locomotive around those curves, well it wouldn't go, the radius is too tight for the wheel geometry to fit. Not only that, but streetcars & trollies have trucks farther in compared to main line rail equipment, the trucks are rarely at extreme ends, usually more towards the middle, precisely for the reason so it can make tight radius turns in streets and intersections.

Smaller (very short) engines and purpose built engines can obviously navigate trolly tracks just fine, because their trucks and wheel geometry aren't in conflict with the track geometry.

Whatever the gauge is, if your trucks are (mainline) far apart, forget going around sharp bends on trolly track. :P

- A

Archived