Question about New Lots Avenue (3 Line)

Zman

Ok, I'm strongly considering transferring to the IRT for the next pick since I'm on the TSS list and I could use the A Division experience; but, I have a question. The second closest terminal to my house is New Lots Avenue on the (3). The last time I worked there in 1994, T/O's and C/R's would be scared to go down to the street after dark, burned out buildings were on every block, cars on concrete blocks were all over the place and gunshots were as common as birds chirping in the trees.

Has the area around New Lots & Livonia turned the corner to the level of respectability, or is it still Zoo Lots: the place that gentrification forgot? I don't want to park my car there only to have to take the bus home.

It's not as bad as before but I wouldn't compare it to say Bay Ridge or some other nice place. I've been take the (3) train to the B60 for a while now and haven't had any issues. Then again, it could be completely different at night. I know DOB2RTO worked the (3) for a bit. Maybe he could give you a better feel of the area for you.

Ok, I'm strongly considering transferring to the IRT for the next pick since I'm on the TSS list and I could use the A Division experience; but, I have a question. The second closest terminal to my house is New Lots Avenue on the (3). The last time I worked there in 1994, T/O's and C/R's would be scared to go down to the street after dark, burned out buildings were on every block, cars on concrete blocks were all over the place and gunshots were as common as birds chirping in the trees.

Has the area around New Lots & Livonia turned the corner to the level of respectability, or is it still Zoo Lots: the place that gentrification forgot? I don't want to park my car there only to have to take the bus home.

It's survivable. I mean, it's not COMPLETELY a wreck, and the place is very developed with general stores around (mom & pop style). If there's a spot in Livonia Yard to park your car, I'd say park it there. Otherwise, park by the Library that's on Barbey Street. I seriously doubt anything will happen there. I avoid that area (like I do with quite a few others) when the school kids are out at 2:30-3, but besides that, like I said, it's survivable. Gentrification didn't forget it, but it didn't envelop it completely either. That's my take on it, but you make your decision based on what you feel comfortable with.

It's not as bad as before but I wouldn't compare it to say Bay Ridge or some other nice place.

Oh believe me, I'm not expecting miracles. Its just that back in the day, T/O's would tell stories about how they would be walking the structure to Livonia Yard only to have a perp point a gun at them saying to drop the wallet down or he'll shoot, or how the crews would duck past the Pink Houses because the train would be used for target practice. If New Lots/Livonia is like Euclid/Pitkin, then I won't be worried at all.

Thanks Y2 and R62, and thanks for the parking advice.

Oh believe me, I'm not expecting miracles. Its just that back in the day, T/O's would tell stories about how they would be walking the structure to Livonia Yard only to have a perp point a gun at them saying to drop the wallet down or he'll shoot, or how the crews would duck past the Pink Houses because the train would be used for target practice. If New Lots/Livonia is like Euclid/Pitkin, then I won't be worried at all.

Yup. I've heard those stories myself as well. Luckily, I've been around New Lots long enough to find out if it's still true or not.

I've worked the area during the day plenty of times and during the night a few times. Perhaps because I'm providing a service and I'm with several co-workers, I really never have a problem out there. That area of the borough has changed, from what I've been told, but because of all of the public housing around there, it isn't ready for the whole gentrification process just yet. A few of those stations on the Livonia tracks have some dark staircases which may present problems every now and then. You can also try parking down near Spring Creek Towers (formerly Starrett City) and take the B83 to Pennsylvania Avenue, park over near the Brooklyn General Mail Facility on Wortman Avenue and Hemlock Street (I think?) and take the B15 out to New Lots, or park somewhere off the Conduit and also take the B15. The B6 is the only other really close bus out that way, but I don't know where you could find decent parking off of that route. You're a few blocks from Linden Boulevard at that point - try the local road for parking.

Remember - no matter where you are in The City, if you're alone and there's a problem person or group out on the block, you may run into trouble.

I'll be out that way on Friday and I'll PM you if I find a better parking solution.

Remember - no matter where you are in The City, if you're alone and there's a problem person or group out on the block, you may run into trouble.

Believe it or not, I'm more concerned about the car.:)

Worst comes to worst, I'll park at Linden and 78th and take the B15 in.

Mmm, how about parking in the municipal lot next to the (L) train at Canarsie-Rockaway Parkway and then taking the B6 to New Lots or take the (L) to Lorimer St and walk to Junius St on the (3) to New Lots?

Lorimer would be a looooooooong walk. Do you mean the Livonia (L) station? :)

I've called Livonia Yard and New Lots(3) home for the last quarter century and I've never had a problem. I also lived in the area for over 30 years and I can truly say that the area is slowly changing for the better. I've walked out of the yard at 2 am and traveled a mile on foot and I'm still here. FYI the (3) passes the Van Dyke and Tilden houses and not the Pink houses. Fulton/Euclid is rougher if you get my drift.

I've called Livonia Yard and New Lots (3) home for the last quarter century and I've never had a problem. I also lived in the area for over 30 years and I can truly say that the area is slowly changing for the better. I've walked out of the yard at 2 am and traveled a mile on foot and I'm still here. FYI the (3) passes the Van Dyke and Tilden houses and not the Pink houses. Fulton/Euclid is rougher if you get my drift.

Couldn't have gotten it from a better experience. Although I've only lived there for half of your time, I can vouch for what you're saying as well.

I've called Livonia Yard and New Lots(3) home for the last quarter century and I've never had a problem. I also lived in the area for over 30 years and I can truly say that the area is slowly changing for the better. I've walked out of the yard at 2 am and traveled a mile on foot and I'm still here. FYI the (3) passes the Van Dyke and Tilden houses and not the Pink houses. Fulton/Euclid is rougher if you get my drift.

Big time thanks. If Euclid/Pitkin (C) is rougher, and I go there often enough, then New Lots/Livonia will be alright.

And you had me tricked. With your screen name, I would've bet $$$ that you were on the Dyre side. Sometimes one forgets what kind of senior gigs are on the (5) out of Brooklyn.

Archived