BONEYARD: Railroads

Trainspotter

The History Channel series BONEYARD follows the dismantling of our largest structures and the discovery of their unusual after-life. From B-52 bombers to massive oil tankers, railroad passenger cars to cold war-era cruise missiles, everything we manufacture has a lifespan. Reaching the end of their useful life is just the beginning of a fascinating visual journey.

They are the largest moving objects on land--and one of the most powerful machines ever constructed...Trains. With over 100 cars joined together, and stretching over a mile in length, they can move tons of materials at speeds in excess of 70 miles per hour. They ride on almost 100,000 miles of steel rails that literally crisscross the nation. To service this vast system, an equally huge complex of railroad boneyards has emerged. Imaginative entrepreneurs have found new and innovative uses for every single component of the railroads--from tracks and ties--to the trains themselves. Though most of these great iron horses will ultimately be ripped and torn apart for scrapping, some will be grandly restored to live on in other roles.

Thursday June 28 09:00 PM

http://www.history.com/minisites/boneyard#

I wached it. I had wished that they showed more of the actual railroads.. they spent way to much time on the Ties.

My favorite part was the Amtrak and that other place Restoration Program. That was pretty cool to see some transformations.

The part about the Amtrak facility was the most interesting part. That crane they showed was huge. Watching it lift the locomotive up in the air like that was cool to see. Also the part about the truck restoration was interesting too.

I say it was ok, I would have liked to see more about locomotives that where running and how they destruct them when they are at the end of there lives. But I agree that they spent way to much time on the railroad ties. And how they restored the cars where ok but I still would rather learn more in deoth things about the Railroads.

Archived