P32AC and not the DE30AC

Harry

Can anyone one of you fine gentlemen tell me why Metro-North Railroad went with the GE P32AC and not the EMD DE30AC like the LIRR?

Both railroad's once ran (I believe there's one or two still out there) the FL9/10's and now they run different locomotives.

I'm trying to find it for myself but cannot get any info on it.

The only thing I can think of is Amtrak runs with Metro-North at some point and Amtrak runs P32AC's (not on the NEC route I think).

The P32AC-DMs were available for production at the time LIRR needed new locomotives. Metro-North purchased the locomotives, however, LIRR felt that the P32AC-DMs could not fulfill its service needs and requirements, so they came up with a completely new design from scratch. The new DME0AC/DE30ACS ended up being lemons and EMD discontinued production of this locomotive.

Some of the remaining FL9s and F10s continue to operate service for Metro-North Wassaic, Waterbury and Danbury branch services.

Metro-North Hudson Line trains operate alongside Amtrak Empire Service trains between a point north of the Metro-North Spuyten Duyvil station and Poughkeepsie station, where Amtrak trains continue to operate north to Albany, Niagara Falls and other points.

From my understanding, those P32ACs pack a powerful punch. They are the main choice of locomotive (second to the F40 and F40PH) of Amtrak. The MBTA is rumored to be looking at buying the P32AC, in some 2007 Auction. (Its been so long since I read the actual article) I think they also were looking into a F59PH. (The ones that Amtrak use, not the discontinued GO transit ones.)

Archived