Advice/Help needed

Mugsy

Hey everyone,

I was just perusing the MTA's open competitive examination schedule and was somewhat disappointed to find that I only meet the requirements for one of the positions being tested for: Transit Property Protection Agent. Ideally, I would like to pursue a career with the MTA either as a conductor or in any of the numerous supervisory positions that I’m sure are available. Unfortunately, however, I didn’t see any exams scheduled for either/or.

Not that there’s anything wrong with being a “Transit Property Protection Agent”, but I’m afraid I may be a bit long in the tooth for that sort of work. I’m 38 years-old and not exactly in stellar physical condition, at least not good enough to chase some speedy adolescent vandal through a dark train yard at 4am.

That brings me to my first question: At 38 (I’ll be 39 in June), am I simply too old to even be considered for any entry level position with the MTA? I understand that legally they cannot openly discriminate against anyone based on age, sex, race, religion, etc., but that doesn’t always mean that it doesn’t happen.

My second question: In case I opt to take the exam for “Transit Property Protection Agent” (is that some sort of fancy-schmanzy euphemism for security guard?), what study book should I purchase to help me prepare for the exam? I didn’t see it listed in the sticky thread above. I haven’t taken an exam of any sort since I graduated college over a decade ago, and I’m actually horrified at the prospect of failing it.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice. :)

Hey everyone,

I was just perusing the MTA's open competitive examination schedule and was somewhat disappointed to find that I only meet the requirements for one of the positions being tested for: Transit Property Protection Agent. Ideally, I would like to pursue a career with the MTA either as a conductor or in any of the numerous supervisory positions that I’m sure are available. Unfortunately, however, I didn’t see any exams scheduled for either/or.

Not that there’s anything wrong with being a “Transit Property Protection Agent”, but I’m afraid I may be a bit long in the tooth for that sort of work. I’m 38 years-old and not exactly in stellar physical condition, at least not good enough to chase some speedy adolescent vandal through a dark train yard at 4am.

That brings me to my first question: At 38 (I’ll be 39 in June), am I simply too old to even be considered for any entry level position with the MTA? I understand that legally they cannot openly discriminate against anyone based on age, sex, race, religion, etc., but that doesn’t always mean that it doesn’t happen.

My second question: In case I opt to take the exam for “Transit Property Protection Agent” (is that some sort of fancy-schmanzy euphemism for security guard?), what study book should I purchase to help me prepare for the exam? I didn’t see it listed in the sticky thread above. I haven’t taken an exam of any sort since I graduated college over a decade ago, and I’m actually horrified at the prospect of failing it.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice. :)

rocky.jpg

O.K. Mugsy you sheee, it's like this you sheee, to become a TPPA you need a New York State Guards license, and a drivers license. That's the 1st part. Your age doesn't mean squat here. MTA has had hired a B/O who was in this 70's. Long as you meet the medical and mental requirements, your all good. TPPA is a security guard. You will possibly need the security guard study guide for this test (link at bottom). There is no separate book for MTA TPPA. There are usually more than one TPPA on the property at any time. You will be in a booth, you also will walk around to make sure parking permits are in personal cars on the property. I have seen some TPPAs in really bad shape, so your shape doesn't matter. You won't report to the same locations either. One day you can be at Kingsbridge at 218/B'way, the next day they can send you to Staten Island.

As for the supervisory experience jobs, that only comes to those at office type positions. To be a rank and file personnel supervisor, you start at the bottom and work your way up (B/O-Surface Dispatcher-Superintendent etc...). If you want to be a conductor it will be a while, since they already have a list with 20,000 (IIRC) on it. Maybe 6000-7000 will be called from that. No O/C T/O exam is scheduled yet. Only B/O is open for now, along with TPPA. In March, Station Booth clerk is coming up, and you might be in a booth, you might get to walk the platform. With this position you can move up to C/R, or promotional to Assistant Train Dispatcher, which then you can move to Train Dispatcher (for Train Service Supervisor you need 2 years as a T/O, with 1 year of that in active road service).

If you don't want to be a security guard here, wait until march for the Station Agent, or heck just take both to be on the safe side. Nothing says you can't take both, and nothing says you can't switch positions.

Study guide for security guard: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?WRD=security+guard+study+guide&z=y

1592321.gif

Requirements to obtain actual license from NYS: http://www.dos.state.ny.us/LCNS/wgpfaq.html

DOB2RTO,

Why you…

Thanks a million for the thorough & informative answer. I think I will take both exams. Maybe I’ll really hedge my bets and take more than two of the exams. At this juncture, I just want to land a job with the MTA in any capacity. The more I learn about the MTA and its process for hiring new employees, the more I conclude that the hardest part is simply getting one's foot in the door. It’s the same way with many big corporations.

Thanks again!

DOB2RTO,

Why you…

Thanks a million for the thorough & informative answer. I think I will take both exams. Maybe I’ll really hedge my bets and take more than two of the exams. At this juncture, I just want to land a job with the MTA in any capacity. The more I learn about the MTA and its process for hiring new employees, the more I conclude that the hardest part is simply getting one's foot in the door. It’s the same way with many big corporations.

Thanks again!

They told us that on our 1st day of orientation. "Take as many exams as possibly, because anything can happen, and you do not have to stay in one position in this agency. Move up whenever possible". As my username states I'm in the DOB, but am waiting for RTO to take me in as I am on the O/C T/O list. I kept my options open, as I knew I didn't want to drive a bus, or be in the DOB division (at least for the MTA) for 29 years (25/55 thing is why I would have to give 29 years). It took me 3.6 years to get into this place (from filing, to hired). I took the T/O exam in October of 2003, so 4 years of waiting is coming up soon for that. The O/C T/O list wasn't established until 2007 though, so it doesn't expire till 2011. I'm on their outstanding certification now (means I should get a letter "soon" at least for the drug/alcohol part).

It's not hard to get your foot into the door here, for most rank and file positions. It's just a long wait. That's the PITA part. Those who have got hired for MTA Bus has had the least wait, as not too many want to go there, due to the pay compared to TA and OA.

Thanks again for all the info & insights. There is something, however, that I'm a little concerned about. On the OASys website, it states that applicants may only apply for one examination at a time (https://a856-eeexams.nyc.gov/OLEE/ExamList.aspx). I’ve already applied for the examination for Public Health Assistant. Would you know if this means that I cannot apply for any additional Civil Service exams, including any for the MTA, until I take the exam that I've already applied for?

Thanks again for all the info & insights. There is something, however, that I'm a little concerned about. On the OASys website, it states that applicants may only apply for one examination at a time (https://a856-eeexams.nyc.gov/OLEE/ExamList.aspx). I’ve already applied for the examination for Public Health Assistant. Would you know if this means that I cannot apply for any additional Civil Service exams, including any for the MTA, until I take the exam that I've already applied for?

Damn, they are changing so much it ain't funny.

All MTA rank and file positions go through DCAS. Even though one is actually a state employee, you go through NYC Civil Service System. The only exception is MTA Bus and MaBSTOA, which is basically their own private entities. Best bet is to give DCAS a call, and ask a person there. It can take a long time to speak to a person, but if you want to find out, just hang on the line and ask them.

Archived