The (Q) via 6th Avenue

MattTrain

I just thought I would raise a discussion about the cars the (Q6) used when it ran via 6 Avenue/Brighton Express. Did the (Q6) use R40 modified cars and R42s or were they strictly R40 slants? This was right after the (:P and (Q6) swapped cars with the (B) (which was running at West End at the time) taking the R68 and R68A cars and the (Q6) taking the R40s. I remember seeing an R40M or R42, I couldn't tell the difference at the time.

Adding on to Zach's post, another reason for the (:P/(Q6) fleet swap was because for late night OPTO service, where the (B) ran Slants at night, it was decided to give the (B) the 68/As and the (Q6) Slants. Also, I also heard that some of the 68/As did not have the (Q6) designation, while the Slants, Mods and R42s did, so they used <Q> as that was the only designation available for any "Q" service at the time. I remember seeing a 68 reading <Q> back when I was 4, but the Sixth Avenue side of the Bridge was open, however, and not the Broadway side.

Adding on to Zach's post, another reason for the (:P/(Q6) fleet swap was because for late night OPTO service, where the (B) ran Slants at night, it was decided to give the (B) the 68/As and the (Q6) Slants. Also, I also heard that some of the 68/As did not have the (Q6) designation, while the Slants, Mods and R42s did, so they used <Q> as that was the only designation available for any "Q" service at the time. I remember seeing a 68 reading <Q> back when I was 4, but the Sixth Avenue side of the Bridge was open, however, and not the Broadway side.

That's true as well. When the R68/R68A models were first delivered, only the <Q> in Broadway Colors (Black/Yellow) was available to display. No (Q6) signs were on the 68s/R68As.

In 1995, when the Manhattan Bridge Closed to the North side, and the (D) ran between 34 St and Coney Island, during rush hours only, and the (Q) took over as the weekday midday, weekend, and some lat night service, it ran from 21 St-Queensbridge to Stillwell marked <Q>. It ran via Brighton Local/Montague St Tunnel/Broadway Express (Prince to 57 St/7 Av), then via 63 St to 21 St, Queens.

That's true as well. When the R68/R68A models were first delivered, only the <Q> in Broadway Colors (Black/Yellow) was available to display. No (Q6) signs were on the 68s/R68As.

In 1995, when the Manhattan Bridge Closed to the North side, and the (D) ran between 34 St and Coney Island, during rush hours only, and the (Q) took over as the weekday midday, weekend, and some lat night service, it ran from 21 St-Queensbridge to Stillwell marked <Q>. It ran via Brighton Local/Montague St Tunnel/Broadway Express (Prince to 57 St/7 Av), then via 63 St to 21 St, Queens.

Interesting!

Thanks for sharing that info with me Zach.

The R68 only had <Q> in the old style font, the R68A had both <Q>, and (Q). Before the (:P/(Q6) equipment swap in '97, the R68A showed (Q6), but for the few R68's that ran on it, the front rollsign had <Q>, and a handful of the R68's had the newer modified rollsigns on the bullets showing (Q), but still had the same destination rollsigns. Just prior to the Manny B. swap, the majority of the R68/68A got the modification on its rollsigns with a small handful keeping the destination rollsigns intact. If most saw, R68A 5016 still had the original rollsign until very recently.

Archived