Questions I hope you can help me with

Kanne67

I just took the psychological exam for nyc/mta bus operator. I was told it will take 2 months before test scores arrive. They also advised that if we pass and are called upon we would do a medical and then 6 week training. She advised we do not quit present job and take vacation or leave of absence in case 6 week training is not passed (this of course concerns me) My questions are is the training paid? What exactly determines if you pass the training or not? How is borough one will work in determined? Do they train you thoroughly on routes or is it a 1 x deal and your expected to know it? Sorry for all the questions - I appreciate your help.:D:D(MTA)

I can answer alittle bit of that question. Yes you get Paid training at the Min B/O rate. In RTO if you fail an Exam Written or Practical that can terminate your new Career with (MTA). However you get a few chances to pass but if they see your not going to cut it thats when they say You fail try again next time.

The training is paid from day 1 of orientation. If at OA or TA, you get paid the B/O minimum 18.84hr. You have 7-10 days of qualification. That is when a B/O instructor (one of the many Superintendents) will take you out and show you the MTA way. 7 days is the minimum 10 the max. You qualify in a RTS, after passing you drive an Orion V (another Superintendent will show you this bus). This is the relaxing day(s). Then you pick your depot, and if your depot has Hybrids, or artics you train on those, with a 19-A dispatcher. They give the probie rides, but you can get them from superintendents also. 19-A dispatchers usually do it in full uniform, so you'll know, but they can do it undercover. Every depot has 19-A dispatchers so get use to knowing their face in you depot. If you depot has CNG buses, you will take a CPU module on them, before you drive them. Then you do the remainder of the weeks line training. You line train with senior B/Os, who usually wear those safety award jackets, usually referred to as the "lucky" jackets. You have to make sure you train on all the lines out of your depot, so know which lines run out of it. The union assigns that work for newbie trainees, and sometimes will forget to put you on a line. If that happens tell them so they can switch you.

As for the do not quit you job, that is correct, and people who can't do that have been turned away by MTA immediately. If you quit your job, and don't get hired by MTA, then you are out of a job, and MTA don't want to be in court over you suing them because you quit you job, and did not get hired by them. That's why it's that way. Last backing up an artic is the same as backing up a tractor trailer.

The union assigns you your assignments? In RTO its the crew office of Dispatchers and Station agent giving you your time and location on any line.

The crew dispatchers, and rarely one of the two depot Superintendents assign us graduates our work. Only newbies who are in line training, are assigned work by the depot union, so the union can hook them up with those Safety Awarded drivers. I've seen the book in the union depot office, with newbie names in them assigned to go out with the jacketed drivers. Once they graduate, they get assigned work by the usual........

Archived