School for scandal

CPBO

Whether you left city government with good references or under investigation, chances are a cushy academic position awaits you at the City University of New York.

Four former commissioners in Mayor Bloomberg's administration -- two of whom who resigned amid scandals -- currently hold teaching and administrative posts at CUNY, funded by taxpayer dollars.

Former Finance Commissioner Martha Stark -- forced out the door in disgrace last April after she was outed for dating a subordinate and hiring relatives -- currently holds a "distinguished lecturer" position at Baruch College. She collects an annual salary of $103,285.

The New York Post

Martha Stark

The city's former commissioner of correction and probation, Martin Horn, stepped down in June. Under his watch, three guards and a dozen inmates were indicted on charges of beating to death an 18-year-old Rikers Island inmate. In June, red-faced Correction Department brass were caught allowing an inmate to hold a jailhouse bar mitzvah for his son in the lower-Manhattan jail.

Horn is now a distinguished lecturer at John Jay School of Criminal Justice, where he earns $107,142 a year.

Bloomberg's taxi and limousine commissioner, Matthew Daus, announced his resignation Feb. 13 -- just weeks before he said he was told of an $8.3 million taxi-meter-tampering fraud, in which thousands of cabbies overcharged unsuspecting riders

In addition to pursuing private-sector business ventures, he will become a distinguished lecturer at CUNY's Transportation Research Center. A spokesman for the Taxi and Limousine Commission said the salary has not yet been determined.

Members of the Bloomberg administration lobbied CUNY on his behalf, City Hall sources said. Daus also has longtime ties to CUNY.

Meanwhile, Bloomberg's former transportation commissioner, Iris Weinshall, rakes in $233,730 a year as vice chancellor for facilities, planning, construction and management at CUNY.

As commissioner, federal probers singled her out for poor oversight in management that led to the 2003 Staten Island Ferry crash that killed 11 people. Weinshall, who is married to Sen. Charles Schumer, remained in office, resigning five years later to take the higher-paying post.

City sources said Weinshall was poached from her government post by CUNY and that Bloomberg was sorry to see her go.

The distinguished lecturers teach full time, but serve without tenure, a CUNY spokesman said. Their appointment must be renewed annually, and they make between $40,844 and $114,104, depending on their experience level.

Why do we even have elections and such? For me being a politians is cream of the crop, you can steal, rob,cheat and get away with it....or better yet get rewarded for it......I do none of these things but I am thinking about running for office!! :P

Was the ferry accident really Weinshall's fault? The captain took some medication that made him drowsy. He fell asleep and crashed the boat.

no it was not him....He was the commissioner at the time

Why do we even have elections and such? For me being a politians is cream of the crop, you can steal, rob,cheat and get away with it....or better yet get rewarded for it......I do none of these things but I am thinking about running for office!! :P

You should. Then screw up, and get an even bigger reward. Hell, if you do that here where we work, you will become Superintendent in no time............

Archived