40th anniversary of "Shaft" and the "French Connection"

Shortline Bus

This year 2010, is the 40th anniversary of two historic movies oringal release. What they both have in common was that both of these classic films were shot almost entirely in New York City. I am talking about "Shaft" and the "French Connection' both first debuting in late 1970. Anyone here seen these films? I offer my takes later.

"French Connection would win the Oscar in March 1972 as the best movie of 1971. Meanwhile "Shaft' would make history as one of the highest grossing films of all time at that time. Not to mention breaking the racial barrier for Black Actors and Directors in the film industry in 'serious' action-adventure/drama genre as well. Guys here the link with the oringal trailers(previews in late 1970/early '71)and if you have not seen them check them out, it really cool.

1)"French Connection"

2)'Shaft'

"Shaft" features a small subway scene with the 79th Street IRT station 70(1).

"The French Connection" is loosely based on the 1969 book by Mr. Robin Moore but is still a good movie. Great subway scene featuring The West End 70(:P.

Detective Sonny Grosso wrote an afterword for the new softcover edition ($14.95).

Not a big fa of shaft,but the French connection.Yes!!!

Agreed. French Connection was a much better film imo as well. However the theme song to Shaft i do love and never get tired of it. Shaft theme by the late Issac Hayes has been sampled so many times in tv shows and others songs mainly by Rap/Hip Hop artists as well.

Definitely these days all the music is computerized, no one used real guitars,drums and real strings, nothing is more beautiful than real strings in music.

Also 2 legends became huge stars with "Shaft and "French Connection.' Gene Hackman and "Shaft" Director Gordon Parks who sadly is no longer with us. IMO both should receive lifetime oscars/being inducted into the Oscars Hall of Fame.

Almost all of u know about the great acting carrer Hackman has had but for Parks not only breaking the racial barrier for Black Directors and other executive posts in Hollywood.

Parks would not only influence future major Black Filmmakers Spike Lee, John Singleton and more recently Tyler Perry but other filmmakers like Cameron Crowe Director of classic films like "Fasttime at Ridgemond High" "Almost Famous" etc. and James Cameron to name a few as well.

Not to mention Parks being one of the first 'main stream' Hollywood Film Makers mixing in tv close up shots and mixing both the television and movie making camera shots together forever. :tup:

Also 2 legends became huge stars with "Shaft and "French Connection.' Gene Hackman and "Shaft" Director Gordon Parks who sadly is no longer with us. IMO both should receive lifetime oscars/being inducted into the Oscars Hall of Fame.

Almost all of u know about the great acting carrer Hackman has had but for Parks not only breaking the racial barrier for Black Directors and other executive posts in Hollywood.

Parks would not only influence future major Black Filmmakers Spike Lee, John Singleton and more recently Tyler Perry but other filmmakers like Cameron Crowe Director of classic films like "Fasttime at Ridgemond High" "Almost Famous" etc. and James Cameron to name a few as well.

Not to mention Parks being one of the first 'main stream' Hollywood Film Makers mixing in tv close up shots and mixing both the television and movie making camera shots together forever. :tup:

Gordon Parks also broke the color barrier with photography being the first Black photographer with Life Magazine and his Son Gordon Parks jR Directed another big hit from the 70s Superfy.

I LOVE The French Connection! I'm glad I saw this movie. Actually I first heard about this movie last year when I got to hang out with an MTA Police Officer. He was a very great man and train buff! I spent hours talking to him and exploring GCT with him. But he told me to definitly whatch the movie and read the book, and I never regret watching it! I especially love the Car/Train chase!

Archived