Signal issue caused delays on the 2/4/5/6 trains this morning

MTR Admiralty

Got the word on ABC-7 at 6:25 when I was eating breakfast. I was ready to leave to catch the (4) at Brooklyn Br, when I saw that message.

Here's the story:

NEW YORK (WABC) -- Residents of Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens experienced a power surge Wednesday morning that also caused residual subway delays for the morning commute.

Con Edison says the voltage surge was caused by two breakers opening at around 4:43 a.m., de-energizing a 345,000 volt feder.

Customers experienced light flickering, but no outages were reported.

However, the surge caused signal problems in the Westchester Yard in the Bronx, delaying the departure of some subway trains for their morning runs.

The problems were fixed for the bulk of the commute, but straphangers were told to expect delays on No. 4, 5 and 6 trains. Service, however, is back to normal.

(Copyright ©2010 WABC-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)

Ouch. The (4) and (5) were sent to the local track in Manhattan and this continued throughout the AM rush. Everything went back to normal by this afternoon (or relatively normal).

No Lex Express? Whenever that happens, I know something major has happened.:eek::tdown:

It was awful, my friends who took the (4) were EPICALLY late today. I was very close to landing myself on a local (4). But I got the message and hopped on the (D) instead (and got to school 10 minutes earlier than usual)

I got caught up in this, and couldn't avoid it since my school is on the Upper East Side. Fortunately I only had to go from 59th to 86th.

Not like this would have been an issue anyway, because I try to get to school right when the doors open so I have time to finish my homework in a place where I know I will actually work.

Got the word on ABC-7 at 6:25 when I was eating breakfast. I was ready to leave to catch the (4) at Brooklyn Br, when I saw that message.

Here's the story:

Ouch. The (4) and (5) were sent to the local track in Manhattan and this continued throughout the AM rush. Everything went back to normal by this afternoon (or relatively normal).

How come it affected signals in the bronx if the surge wasn't there?

How come it affected signals in the bronx if the surge wasn't there?

Con-Ed has four 345 kV feeders to handle electricity demand all over the five boroughs, and two of those feeders run from the upstate region. Depending on where the surge was initiated and the route of the cable, different locations and different consumers feel the effects from the surge.

Generally, a surge spikes the voltage and current draw and the residential consumers may experience appliances and other items plugged into an A/C wall outlet either burn out because of the momentary surge, but power is rarely lost in these cases.

Archived