Taxi commission looking for cab design help

Trainspotter

Taxi commission looking for cab design help

By Marlene Naanes

amNewYork Staff Writer

February 21, 2008

[float=right]35872285-20154156.jpg[/float]The Taxi and Limousine Commission is looking for help in designing the taxicab of tomorrow.

The agency is asking more than 100 automotive manufacturers for ideas on how to create an iconic taxi fleet that is safe, comfortable and environmentally friendly, officials announced yesterday. The companies have two months to submit ideas.

It¹s unclear when the next generation of cabs will hit the streets, the TLC said. The call for ideas comes after the mayor¹s office declared last year that all cabs must be hybrid by 2012, essentially phasing out the Crown Victoria in three to five years.

Video: amny_logo.gif icon_offsite.png - February 21, 2008

Well I guess this is going to be a big competition since it might propel manufacturers to make more hybrid models. If Ford wants to keep the Crown Vic or at least stay in the running for this, they can try to create a hybrid Crown Vic but I don't know how that would be. I'm hoping the new design can be better for passengers and drivers. But is it possible to change all the taxi's to hybrids in 3-5 years? It seems to be a short time for a lot of cabs.

Archived