Bombardier to Supply New Locomotives for NJ Transit

Pablo M 201

The ALP-46, ALP-44, AEM-7, HHP8, HHP acela, and ALP-46a are all faster and can haul many, many more cars with one engine vs diesel. Also, diesel units in passenger service require a head end power unit, adding weight, and taking away power that can be directed towards traction.

Electric locomotives such as the ALP-44/46, AEM7 and HHP-8 all have HEP units.

Electric locomotives such as the ALP-44/46, AEM7 and HHP-8 all have HEP units.

Of course, but it does not detract from tractive power so it's not an issue. Like i said, diesel power has its place, but size & weight vs overall mobility & exhaust will always be an issue with commuter service.

- Andy

Of course, but it does not detract from tractive power so it's not an issue. Like i said, diesel power has its place, but size & weight vs overall mobility & exhaust will always be an issue with commuter service.

- Andy

Ah, all right. When I first read the post, I thought you were implying electric locomotives didn't have HEP units.

Ah, all right. When I first read the post, I thought you were implying electric locomotives didn't have HEP units.

The HEP units in the electric loco's (including EMU) are also always seemingly secondary priority to tractive power, which is why sometimes you get the HVAC and lights going off & run on battery sometimes even while train is accelerating. In a diesel the HEP unit simply runs off the prime mover in a way which i dont' remember, but it splits power taking away total tractive power but the lights & HVAC won't go off. You can also switch this off when sets don't need HVAC and the like, giving obviously more hauling and accelerating juice.

- Andy

The HEP units in the electric loco's (including EMU) are also always seemingly secondary priority to tractive power, which is why sometimes you get the HVAC and lights going off & run on battery sometimes even while train is accelerating. In a diesel the HEP unit simply runs off the prime mover in a way which i dont' remember, but it splits power taking away total tractive power but the lights & HVAC won't go off. You can also switch this off when sets don't need HVAC and the like, giving obviously more hauling and accelerating juice.

- Andy

Also for electric locomotives and Arrow III MU Cars when they go through the phase gaps the lights turn on and off.:(

Eric

Also for electric locomotives and Arrow III MU Cars when they go through the phase gaps the lights turn on and off.:(

Eric

I love when that happens, rail newbies are all like "oh goodness what happened" or "ohh what was that" in very whispery tones. It's funny how you can totally tell regular riders from noobs just from how they walk and look for seats and sometimes they talk LOUD or on cell phone detailing their trip till the tunnel cuts them off. A source of great amusement for me for many, many years. :(

- Andy

Archived