Bombardier to Supply New Locomotives for NJ Transit

Pablo M 201

http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release.do?id=824402

Feb 22, 2008 09:30 ET

Powerful Locomotives to Haul New Bombardier Multilevel Passenger Cars for Leading Transit Operator

BERLIN, GERMANY--(Marketwire - Feb. 22, 2008) - Bombardier Transportation has been awarded a contract for 27 ALP-46A electric locomotives by the New Jersey Transit Corporation (NJ TRANSIT). The powerful new locomotives will help NJ TRANSIT expand capacity in its passenger rail operations, hauling specially designed Multilevel commuter rail cars Bombardier is currently delivering to the transit service provider. The firm order for 27 locomotives is valued at an estimated 155 million euros ($229 million US). The contract also includes options for an additional 33 locomotives.

The new ALP-46A locomotives are based on service-proven ALP-46 electric locomotive technology that has been in successful operation with NJ TRANSIT since 2002. NJ TRANSIT currently utilizes 29 ALP-46 locomotives as part of its commuter rail fleet.

ALP-46A locomotives will feature a number of technology upgrades along with improved acceleration and increased operating efficiency. The locomotives will be capable of speeds up to 125 mph and will be powered by highly reliable BOMBARDIER MITRAC propulsion and controls equipment. MITRAC propulsion and controls technology offers high performance and intelligent features such as remote diagnostics systems and sophisticated adhesion control for improved traction and hauling efficiency on steel rails

The new locomotives will be built at Bombardier's manufacturing site in Kassel, Germany. Shipments are scheduled to begin in the Fall of 2009.

"An important factor in this follow on order is the excellent reliability of the 29 ALP-46 locomotives, as well as the high quality and on-time delivery of the product," said Edmund Schlummer, President of Bombardier's Locomotive Division.

NJ TRANSIT is an established customer of Bombardier and the third largest provider of public transit in the United States. In addition to ALP-46 locomotives, Bombardier has supplied more than 300 Comet II, III and IV push-pull commuter cars to the transit agency, and is currently delivering 234 MultiLevel commuter rail cars. Bombardier was also a member of the consortium that designed and built the turnkey River LINE light rail system between Camden and Trenton, New Jersey. Bombardier Transportation now operates and maintains the system under a contract with NJ TRANSIT.

Note to editors:

Useful market and company background facts and contact details follow.

A photo is available in our Multimedia Library at: www.transportation.bombardier.com/photography.jsp

Background facts and figures

About Bombardier Transportation

Bombardier Transportation has its global headquarters in Berlin, Germany with a presence in over 60 countries. It has an installed base of over 100,000 vehicles worldwide. The Group offers the broadest product portfolio and is recognized as the leader in the global rail sector.

About Bombardier

A world-leading manufacturer of innovative transportation solutions, from regional aircraft and business jets to rail transportation equipment, systems and services, Bombardier Inc. is a global corporation headquartered in Canada. Its revenues for the fiscal year ended Jan. 31, 2007, were $14.8 billion US, and its shares are traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange (BBD). Bombardier is listed as an index component to the Dow Jones Sustainability World and North America indexes. News and information are available at www.bombardier.com.

BOMBARDIER and MITRAC are trademarks of Bombardier Inc. or its subsidiaries.

W00 H00! More ALP-46s! Those things pwns yo.

*This has been known before but this is just the latest article on the new order of ALP-46s.....

Hello Everyone,

I'm glad that NJ Transit has decided to order more ALP-46 electric locomotives but does anyone else think that this order was placed too soon considering that they are getting ready to rebuild the ALP-44 and ALP-44M locomotives? But then again who knows what will happen between now and 2009.

Eric

Hello Everyone,

I'm glad that NJ Transit has decided to order more ALP-46 electric locomotives but does anyone else think that this order was placed too soon considering that they are getting ready to rebuild the ALP-44 and ALP-44M locomotives? But then again who knows what will happen between now and 2009.

Eric

My guess is that even with the rebuilding of the 44's, they still have room for new locomotives and that's where the new 46's come in. Ridership is only going up on (NJT) in the coming years.

My guess is that even with the rebuilding of the 44's, they still have room for new locomotives and that's where the new 46's come in. Ridership is only going up on (NJT) in the coming years.

Also even with the rebuild I don't think that the Alp 44s are as strong as the Alp 46s,but I don't know for sure.....

Also even with the rebuild I don't think that the Alp 44s are as strong as the Alp 46s,but I don't know for sure.....

That could be true. I know that on average it takes an ALP-44 20 seconds to start moving while an ALP-46 accelerates instantly but NJ Transit is spending I don't know how much money all this and I wouldn't think that its cheap.

Eric

With these new locos, and new multi-levels coming in, does this spell the final years of the Arrow III?

That looks to be the case for now, mainly concerning in with the NEC and NJCL. The more MLs that come in, the more service they'll see which as of recent they have been doing regular weekend service since January.

NJ Transit finds the Arrow III's or any type of MU's to be too expensive to maintain, being that they are considered locomotives, NJ Transit has stated many times that they feel push-pull cars and locomotives are cheaper than MU's...and also given the fact that they are only good for running on short or low ridership trains(with the exception of :nec: trains) NJ Transit probably at this point is really considering replacing these cars with a new order of push-pulls.....honestly though, I don't see NJT getting rid of these cars just yet....NJ Transit's ridership is growing rapidly (its probably one of the fastest growing railroads I've ever seen)....if the Comet I's are still in service the Arrows will definitely be around for a few more years....the Comet III's will probably go...before the Arrows do

That looks to be the case for now, mainly concerning in with the NEC and NJCL. The more MLs that come in, the more service they'll see which as of recent they have been doing regular weekend service since January.

That may be true in the future however there are several NJ Transit routes primarily on the Morris & Essex Lines where its practical to use Arrow III MU Cars. The Gladstone Branch in particular, as well as the Princeton Branch off of the Northeast Corridor where the Famous Dinky reigns but if NJ Transit gets its act together and electrifies the rest of the NJCL to Bay Head I can see no reason why they can not use Arrow III MU Cars from Long Branch to Bay Head.

Eric

That may be true in the future however there are several NJ Transit routes primarily on the Morris & Essex Lines where its practical to use Arrow III MU Cars. The Gladstone Branch in particular, as well as the Princeton Branch off of the Northeast Corridor where the Famous Dinky reigns but if NJ Transit gets its act together and electrifies the rest of the NJCL to Bay Head I can see no reason why they can not use Arrow III MU Cars from Long Branch to Bay Head.

Eric

Trust me, your not the only one that wants to see that happen! Arrow IIIs would be perfect for stops between Long Branch and Bay Head because most aren't so spaced out like north of Long Branch.

Trust me, your not the only one that wants to see that happen! Arrow IIIs would be perfect for stops between Long Branch and Bay Head because most aren't so spaced out like north of Long Branch.

The other reason I would like to see that is because once you go south of Long Branch ridership is a lot lower than the other stations on the NJCL simply because of the fact that commuters are not going to ride the train for 2 hours just to get to New York.

Eric

The other reason I would like to see that is because once you go south of Long Branch ridership is a lot lower than the other stations on the NJCL simply because of the fact that commuters are not going to ride the train for 2 hours just to get to New York.

If the $$$ is good I think I would.

There was talk a few years back about electrifying service all the way to Bay Head but nothing ever came of it....the next major electrification project NJT wants to take on (and even this isn't set in stone) is extending the wire to Lake Hopatcong...and electrifying Port Morris Yard and expanding it....reason being is that Dover Yard is at Capacity.....the only problem is NJT can't really electrify anything else for the time being because the trains have nowhere to go....the main point of electrification is so service can operate into NY...but that won't be feasible for the next few years because Penn Station is at capacity...all electrification projects would lead to increased NY Service....the only area I see that possible is for off-peak trains....hopefull this TUNNEL project will start soon so NJ Transit can increase and improve service during peak hours on lines(More morning Midtown Direct service on the :me: better express service on the :njc:....direct NY service on the:rvl: with Dual modes ..etc.)

The ALP-46 Electric locomotive is based on the German locomotive Class DB 101.

Eric

Yep, that's the German class 101. German Rail operates 145 of these locos, which have been delivered from 1996 to 1999 and are the flagships of the German loco fleet.

They are mainly used for the rather few remaining IC and EC (InterCity and EuroCity) services throughout Germany and Austria that have not been switched to ICE high-speed operation yet.

They are due to be switched to freight operations in about 10 years, when there is no push-pull long-distance service in Germany anymore (plans are to convert all long distance service to EMUs).

They are due to be switched to freight operations in about 10 years, when there is no push-pull long-distance service in Germany anymore (plans are to convert all long distance service to EMUs).
There are alot of them doing freight operations already from what I see when I watch Bahn TV.

There are alot of them doing freight operations already from what I see when I watch Bahn TV.
That's right, they mainly operate with freight trains during nighttime, when there's no IC/EC service at all. You may also be lucky and catch a 101 with a freight train during daytime now and then, although I've only seen that once so far.

With these new locos, and new multi-levels coming in, does this spell the final years of the Arrow III?

NJ Transit was supposed to replace the Arrow 3 with new Arrow 4's sometime in the future. To tell the truth, I don't what NJ Transit is up too these days.

• 2 months later...
There was talk a few years back about electrifying service all the way to Bay Head but nothing ever came of it....the next major electrification project NJT wants to take on (and even this isn't set in stone) is extending the wire to Lake Hopatcong...and electrifying Port Morris Yard and expanding it....reason being is that Dover Yard is at Capacity.....the only problem is NJT can't really electrify anything else for the time being because the trains have nowhere to go....the main point of electrification is so service can operate into NY...but that won't be feasible for the next few years because Penn Station is at capacity...all electrification projects would lead to increased NY Service....the only area I see that possible is for off-peak trains....hopefull this TUNNEL project will start soon so NJ Transit can increase and improve service during peak hours on lines(More morning Midtown Direct service on the :me: better express service on the :njc:....direct NY service on the:rvl: with Dual modes ..etc.)

Actually the point of electrification is to allow more powerful & efficient locomotive units on a line. Diesel's are great for long distance, but in the case of (NJT) the length and weight of the consists are limited when they use diesels because the power output of diesels can't currently match most electric offerings. The ALP-46, ALP-44, AEM-7, HHP8, HHP acela, and ALP-46a are all faster and can haul many, many more cars with one engine vs diesel. Also, diesel units in passenger service require a head end power unit, adding weight, and taking away power that can be directed towards traction. Diesel totally has its place, including into the future, but electrified lines are vital to efficiency on commuter lines especially when taking into account the rising cost of fuel.

- Andy

That is also a reason....but train operation into NY is the number one reason,

look at all the other railsystems in the US, almost all of them operate almost exclusively on diesel power with the exception of SEPTA and South Bend.....

Electric service is much more efficient and environmental friendly, but it isn't exactly a necessity for other railsystems, there are diesels available that can pull 10-12 car trains, but what diesel lines on NJT require trains of that length?

in order for trains to operate into NY they must go into tunnels ex:LIRR,Metro North and NJT, which is why electrification is so widely used in the Metropolitan Area, its not the ONLY reason...but it plays a big role...

That is also a reason....but train operation into NY is the number one reason,

look at all the other railsystems in the US, almost all of them operate almost exclusively on diesel power with the exception of SEPTA and South Bend.....

Electric service is much more efficient and environmental friendly, but it isn't exactly a necessity for other railsystems, there are diesels available that can pull 10-12 car trains, but what diesel lines on NJT require trains of that length?

in order for trains to operate into NY they must go into tunnels ex:LIRR,Metro North and NJT, which is why electrification is so widely used in the Metropolitan Area, its not the ONLY reason...but it plays a big role...

Absolutely expensive to electrify lines out in the middle of nowhere.

There are indeed diesel loco's that can haul all kinds of stuff, but they are really not suited for work on the :nec:, even if they were dual mode. They are limited in horsepower vs size, because the performance needed to go :nec: speeds, braking, acceleration, and top hauling speed just are not available that would be A. cost effective or B. practical to run.

They tried making dual mode catenary/diesel designs at EMD, but they were too heavy and complex for commuter rail. The main problem with diesel is not so much its hauling capability per se, but the rate of service vs electrics. Diesels are very poor accelerators because they depend on the prime mover which is not constant, and then the HEP unit takes power as well to run the brakes and so on. What i'd really love to see, is hydrogen burning long distance loco's working along side the electrics. They would be allowed in tunnels and have no real emissions.

- Andy

Archived