Cabs and Vans Replace Buses in Affected Areas by Cut

FamousNYLover

Is anyone type this yet? I found on today's AM NY.

I not sure where this topic goes since it also involves buses.

Cabs, vans will replace buses in areas hit by cuts.

Some bus riders may soon get know the dollar van and yellow cab better.

With bus cuts beginning this Sunday, the city will be setting up a group taxi stand on the Upper East Side and private vans in the outer boroughs that will run along routes being axed. The Taxi & Limousine Commission will test these ideas on up to seven routes in the coming weekes, officials said yesterday.

Taxi riders will be able to share cabs a stand on York Av and East 70th Street. The X90 bus will no longer run from there to the Financial District.

"I'm very optimistic this "Do will be of use," TLC Commissioner David Yassky said.

Separately, the TLC set up three group ride locations earlier this year, but the Manhattan spots have been slow to catch on so far.

As for the vans, the TLC is still figuring out the routes they will service. The vans will cost about $2 a ride and will make stops along the bus routes, but commuters wouldn't benefit from MetroCard transfers.

Transit union officials blasted the city's proposals. "{Dollar vans} are backdoor way to cut bus service," said John Samuelsen, of the Transport Workers Union Local 100."

Event

411 on the York Avenue Taxi Stand stand

When: Starts July 15th and runs weekdays between 7 and 10am.

Route: Begins at at East 80th St and makes stops in the Financial District only- along Pearl, Water and West Streets.

Cost: $6 a person.

Yuki do you have link to that AM New York article? From info given this sounds like an 'event' more than a news story. Still I think this is an excellent topic for discussing as I am sure those van/gypsy drivers are chopping at bit to replace those cut bus routes especially in the outer boros and thus extra profits.:eek:

Is anyone type this yet? I found on today's AM NY.

I not sure where this topic goes since it also involves buses.

Event

411 on the York Avenue Taxi Stand stand

When: Starts July 15th and runs weekdays between 7 and 10am.

Route: Begins at at East 80th St and makes stops in the Financial District only- along Pearl, Water and West Streets.

Cost: $6 a person.

Archived