MTA board votes to raise bridge, tunnel tolls

Harry

The MTA board Wednesday voted to raise tolls, with cash-paying drivers getting a bigger hike than E-ZPass users.

Drivers paying cash will pay 50 cents to a dollar more at Metropolitan Transportation Bridges and tunnels in January, about 18 %.

The cash toll will be $6.50 at major crossings and $3.25 at minor crossings. It will be $4 at the Henry Hudson Bridge.

E-Z Pass drivers will have to pay about 5 % more at the nine crossings: $4.80 at major crossings, $1.80 at minor crossings and $2.20 at the Henry Hudson Bridge.

Officials said the higher cash hike will encourage more drivers to use the electronic toll tags, reducing MTA labor costs and easing traffic.

At the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge, where tolls are collected in one direction, the cash toll is rising $2 to $13. E-ZPass users will pay $9.60

From: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/10/27/2010-10-27_mta_board_votes_to_raise_bridge_tunnel_tolls.html#ixzz13afriZTn

post-1-133288582246_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288582246_thumb.jpg

Not a surprise. This plan is a also a scheme by the (MTA)to get rid of all 'human' toll collectors as soon as possible.

Technology already exists to videotape non-ez pass drivers through their plates and bill them later. Only reason this has not taken IMO, is the fact, it's dealing with canning forever, hundred of union jobs.

Down side with this toll hike is that the Holland Tunnel outbound becomes even more of a parking lot for mainly Brooklyn drivers going to NJ trying to avoid the Verrzano toll.

The machines are taking over, like the movie Terminator. Incredible, I have ez-pass and pay $4.13 everytime I cross a city Bridge or tunnel. I feel bad for those cash guys having to shell out $6.50 each way. $6.50 is incredible to cross some of these bumpy road, cop infested, traffic infested bridges and tunnels.

My parents go to New Jersey at least four times a month... I wonder what my dad will think of this.

I still f**king hate when people without E-ZPasses (the poor bastards) not only have to wait to get to the lane, but hold up every other E-ZPass tag holder behind them for at least 20 minutes, by which time they could be a mile and a half away from the toll booth.

Archived